pro driver sound with only 15 watts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
just looking for a bit of experience from those who knows :)

thinking of making a vented subwoofer 90L, fane 15xb driver(tuned to 27hz) to pair it with a couple of satelittes, xover at 80hz with minidsp and a 25W 4ohm tripath poweramp to power the sub.

modelling it in winisd gives me a good response(with cabin gain) and with a bit of boundery gain it should provide me with the wanted target spl. (which is only 100db as it is a system for a bedroom).
music= jazz and rock mostly.

I know power is cheap, but i'd like to do it the low power way if possible.

will a tripath ta2020 poweramp that wattage be able to make it sound well or do i need more power?

best regards

panduro

Last edited:
I've always been a fan of Fane. My pops still has four Colussus from '91 and they are still all original and still pound the lows. :)

Have you considered a horn of some sort to boost the on-axis sensitivity of the 15xb? Are you familiar with horn modeling software like HornResponse or Akabak?

Hi oscar and thanks for your reply.

I like fane as Well, im running 12" fane cresendo guitar drivers as a midbass driver and 1" jbl compression drivers in my ht doing lr duty.
I know its a guitar driver, but done as a "satelite" speaker crossed at 1200hz it sounds very nice and dynamic as hell.

No expirience With horn moddeling.

Horns for bass freq are quite large arent they?

Mest regards

Panduro

I think 15W will be fine, considering it's a bedroom and you can't go very loud anyway.
Why complicate matters with a horn, doubly so because you don't have a lot of space, is beyond me.
If you want more SPL , upgrade amplification to 50W, 150W or 500W, the Sky is the limit. ;)
Watts are cheap anyway.
That said, 15W in a bedroom is fine.

Sadly Fane COLOSSUS 15XB doesn't go low (extension) with/than ~40Hz@-12dB with any alignment.
panduro,
I love the Fanes, but after saying that, who told you to pick that woofer? Maybe for a (PA) rock concert is just fine.

You sure about that, chief?

fanexbFR.jpg

169L, Fb=34Hz. Using T/S parameters from: http://www.fane-international.com/downloads/FANE_Colossus_15XB_Specs.pdf

I'd say that goes plenty enough for jazz/rock.

OscarS, thanks. I notice some parameters are different in the database (not made by me and maybe an old driver v.). So I will check again with the new T/S.
Edit: Anyway I looked at the PREDICTED BASS RESPONSE on your link and what I said it's not far-fetched.
thinking of making a vented subwoofer 90L, fane 15xb driver(tuned to 27hz)

Attachments

• COLOSSUS 15XB.jpg
    COLOSSUS 15XB.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
As a way of checking I simulated the 2 alignments for the same driver.
1. FANE COLOSSUS 15XB v.2012, VB = 86.6 L, FB = 35.2 Hz, 92.2 dB2.83Vm. F3=52Hz F6=39Hz F12=28Hz
2. FANE COLOSSUS 15XB v.2012, VB = 169.0 L, FB = 34.0 Hz, 92.2 dB2.83Vm. F3=36Hz F6=31Hz F12=25Hz

Attachments

• 1. FANE COLOSSUS 15XB v.2012, VB = 86.6 L, FB = 35.2 Hz, 92.2 dB2.83Vm. F3=52Hz F6=39Hz F12=28Hz.jpg
    1. FANE COLOSSUS 15XB v.2012, VB = 86.6 L, FB = 35.2 Hz, 92.2 dB2.83Vm. F3=52Hz F6=39Hz F12=28Hz.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 278
  • 2. FANE COLOSSUS 15XB v.2012, VB = 169.0 L, FB = 34.0 Hz, 92.2 dB2.83Vm. F3=36Hz F6=31Hz F12=25H.jpg
    2. FANE COLOSSUS 15XB v.2012, VB = 169.0 L, FB = 34.0 Hz, 92.2 dB2.83Vm. F3=36Hz F6=31Hz F12=25H.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 282
First of all, thanks for all the replies, its much appriciated!

Nobody told me I should get that woofer, but is the one i modeled in winisd that did best in a "small" vented cabinet. rest of the resonably priced high sensitivity bass drivers i modeled needed a bigger enclosure than is possible for me to do. driver, bracing and vents deducted i have 90L left.

with 15Watts im almost out of excursion, LOL not even close, only using 1,5mm....

im open to other driver suggestions that will fitt my needs!

best regards

panduro

Last edited:
The pro 15-500, sov.15-400 and the sov 15-400lf all need at bigger enclosure than i have room for.

HMMM Bummer, i just entered the thiell and small parametres of the 15xb found on fanes website into winisd. the one thats pre-entered into winisd is apparently is a different(older maybe) model than the current as the specs are different.

with the current 15xb it doesnt give me the freq. response im looking for :(, it needs a bigger box than the older.

any other suggestions for a pro driver that will do well in a 90L cab with 15W/8ohm power?

It might be worth simming with a Fane Sovereign Pro 15-600 LF or the Fane Sovereign 400 LF.
The 15XB does seem like a bit of overkill for 15W I have run these up to 1.2KW per driver.:D
Usually the XB is tuned higher to allow decent power handing without excessive excursion.
Bit concerned about the size of the cabinet and the low tuning - the ports will be either very long or very small. A few litres more might make a difference especially with the cheaper drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.