HT sub placement? bottom ported

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got a new cheaper 12 HT sub for a room that does not get HT used much, it should do. So I try it out in front of the TV and not much output, I turn it up all the way and max in my receiver too. Finally I plug the port and the cone starts moving a fair amount....so I figure most output is from the port and its out in the room. Sure enough I put it on its side with the port at me and output is better.

So question is how do I get the most from this thing, in a corner I imagine but I have to move large things to do that of course.:rolleyes: It has about 2" legs on it and port fires at the floor (no panel under it). The sub fires out the front but not sure of best direction to aim that. Should I put a panel under it since the room is carpeted? How far from the corner...anyone have any general advice as I have to move some large things to fit it there. It would be just behind or next to the right front speaker which is a larger set of 12" woofer/12PR home speakers...in this secondary system I tossed together. I hope this sub has more output than the speakers do lol. So far its not very impressive. I never had a bottom ported sub before.

Not a bad idea, I will try that. Guess I will put the sub in the normal orientation on the floor in the corner, or try for that spot. Maybe the corner will help it out, it has to be so weak because I have it out in the center of the room. Port does have a big flare on it. At least I got a really good deal on it, I can always buy a different sub or amp to put in it as the enclosure is not bad.

Nice pipes Shady, I know about those.

One wall is concrete and 8' in the ground. Trying to get to that project might be this weekend I can move all that stuff and get the sub in there....see what it does. I'm supposed to get a rack amp from a friend I can run a car sub on, its tuned to 27hz. But I can come up with or build better. I don't see him that often not grabbed the amp from him. At least I have 15s in my car lol.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.