How's This Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What I am hoping for is that someone who is more familiar with these types of simulation than I am can suggest which one to use and perhaps how to do so with respect to this specific problem set.

His math cannot be proprietary, at least in the USA:

I only meant that AFAIK he will not share his underlying intellectual property and AFAIK he doesn't use the traditional wave equations, etc. of other programs.

As for finding someone willing to develop a similar performing design routine to run in some other program, it's no trivial pursuit, so good luck with that.

Maybe you can work something out with this fellow since his is still a work in progress: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/software-tools/220421-transmission-line-modelling-software.html

GM

You can do pretty well with the DIY Panasonic capsule mic. See Linkwitz for details. Most of use have a Behringer calibrated mic. Pretty cheap.
Thanks, I'll read up on it. I was also thinking that I might be able to beg and borrow some time at the local community college public access studio to have a relatively acoustically dead room to test in and maybe something nice to record the tests with. That is, of course, if the CA budget cuts haven't force them to pawn everything off...

Speakers are simple? Ah Grasshopper, soon you shall have the truth laid before you. In time you will find we don't actually know what to measure and the kind of repeatability you may be accustomed to is just not possible. Even the moment to moment changes in air pressure exceed basic test equipment. Mode, measure, think, then realize why we all do final voicing by ear. The TL is almost as miss-understood as the horn. Simple in concept, very complex in execution. You'll see. :D
Oh, I quite get your point. It seems simple in the sense that everything is at "human scale". I can build enclosures and play with drivers and use test microphones with my hands and basic tools. Wavelengths are measureable in feet and inches, not nm like optical wavelengths. I can use my integrated sensors -- ears -- to get a subjective impression of the output whereas with microwave networking, I've got no way to know what is happening without the right instrumentation.

I setup a WiMAN -- Wireless Metro [Village] Area Network -- years ago. Having to attempt to determine Fresnel zones with nothing more than photos taken from atop the highest roof I could get on plus 2D street maps plus Excel/VisualCraptastic was a thoroughly painful exercise in outback engineering. In the end, I got something that passed packets effectively and reasonably reliably, but I still have no idea how far from the ideal setup I was. [In case you are a masochist who wished to repeat the process, remember that panel trucks and trailers are huge microwave reflectors that randomly appear in empty spaces on the map. Doh!]

H*ll, I'm going to push my personal capabilities just trying to make good tight rabbets for a small center channel box. For me that is hard, but it is approachable. I'm quite sure that audio engineering is not easy as pie, just that it is easy to play with and experiment with and learn about.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.