pioneer ts-w5102spl - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2013, 10:51 AM   #1
pulinsh is offline pulinsh  Latvia
diyAudio Member

Default pioneer ts-w5102spl

Good day everyone,
I have ts-w5102spl and two prs-d2000spl amps, I was wondering about my subwoofer possibilities. I had old box - it was vented but smth was very very wrong... so I will try to build new one, can anyone help me with this?
Old 6th January 2013, 06:23 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The website recommends a 42,5 l closed box. For the price of that woofer you should expect some support from the manufacturer or the dealer where you bought it.
Old 6th January 2013, 06:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

that closed box is crap (sorry for expression) I was planning for 83.7L box with round port 153mm(diam)x200mm(length). Just wondering can anyone help me with some other suggestion for better box to get more db
Old 7th January 2013, 03:06 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificblue View Post
The website recommends a 42,5 l closed box. For the price of that woofer you should expect some support from the manufacturer or the dealer where you bought it.
Here it says ported. Pioneer Premier TS-W5102SPL (TSW5102SPL) 12" Dual 2 ohm SPL Sub
Sorry I can not work without the T/S parameters.
Old 7th January 2013, 03:44 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

More data for your woofer in a BR.
PIONEER TS-W5102SPL, VB = 15.8 L, FB = 27.7 Hz, 87.9 dB2.83Vm.
F3=41Hz, F6=31Hz, F12=22Hz (free field)
Old 7th January 2013, 04:19 AM   #6
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Your sim doesn't account for its huge inductance, so not even remotely accurate without significant EQ. This driver is a 'one note wonder' with specs that dictate TL loading.

GM
Old 7th January 2013, 04:35 AM   #7
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulinsh View Post
I was planning for 83.7L box with round port 153mm(diam)x200mm(length).
Really?! See yellow trace. Is this for a car SPL competition or.........?

GM
Attached Images
File Type: gif Pioneer TS-W5102SPL [pulinsh].gif (12.6 KB, 68 views)
Old 7th January 2013, 05:11 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
I'd guess what 'GM' is trying to tell you is that..........These car specific subwoofers perform rather poorly.....they really don't go down very low in frequency without lots of equalization & lots of Wattage. When they do get that low, they have lots of harmonics (Different frequencies added to the primary frequency) & sound odd.
These drivers are designed solely for volume & do not accurately reproduce the low frequencies.........as a result, attempts at modeling "accurately" sized boxes brings about bizzare results (Very small sealed boxes).
I'm sure they will pound away just fine with the small sealed enclosure.....just don't expect precise low tones.
I've built a "precision" subwoofer & it was an "accurate" device........Just awhile ago I helped my brother-in-law build the requisite sub-woofer enclosure for his car...according to specs, a small enclosure, High-wattage affair.........Frankly it sounded very poor...but he likes it (Boom, boom,boom). It uses a driver similar to yours.

__________________________________________________ ______Rick........
Old 7th January 2013, 06:22 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

thanks everyone for answers, I don't want it for competition, just for myself to get not only noise but some lower tones too. So I think the best way is to sell this one or maybe something can done to make it better?
Old 7th January 2013, 10:54 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulinsh View Post
thanks everyone for answers, I don't want it for competition, just for myself to get not only noise but some lower tones too. So I think the best way is to sell this one or maybe something can done to make it better?
If you don't plan using a 2500W power amp, yes. A 6" or 8" can do what you're looking for...
Edit: if for a car the low gain/curve it's different.
Look for what I have just said here.
10" cabinet transformation?

Last edited by Inductor; 7th January 2013 at 11:17 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!