W12GTi subwoofer in building - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2013, 07:52 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default W12GTi subwoofer : built, now time for fine tuning

Hi everyone,

I'm sort of a noob in HiFi, I've build earlier this year a cheap set of bookshelf (Cosette by a talented french concepter, I guess he must be here) Here's my room with them :

Click the image to open in full size.

The setup is : HTPC 4TB, EMU 1820m, Hifimediy TK2050 amp (T1 STA510 2x100W at 8ohms)

They perform well, and I wanted to add a subwoofer. My choice is W12GTi MkII. Here's a CAD of my project :

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

It will be powered by a QSC RMX1850HD amp. The building process is on, thanks to holidays.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

I would be glad to read any comment / critic / advice you could have.

Last edited by tom120934; 11th February 2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 2nd January 2013, 01:23 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Nice sub and nice build so far. Looking forward to your results!
Old 2nd January 2013, 07:17 PM   #3
OscarS is offline OscarS  United States
diyAudio Member

you'll love that subwoofer. It's very very clean.
Old 3rd January 2013, 02:59 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

CNC cut panels? Or all manual cut? Looks great!
Old 3rd January 2013, 04:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi. What project/simulation you are using (enclos.vol/tunning)?
Calculs d'une enceinte bass-reflex, 1/8
Calculs d'une enceinte bass-reflex, 1/8
refer:
JBL W12GTi MKII 31 - 4 Ohms, Fs = 31.83 Hz, Vas 44.75L, Qts 0.508, Xmax 10.2mm
enclos.vol/tunning:
JBL W12GTi MKII, VB = 69.2 L, FB = 20.5 Hz, 85.8 dB2.83Vm.
F3=30Hz, F6=20Hz, F12=15Hz
Have a nice DIY.
Old 3rd January 2013, 04:16 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

It looks very nice. Are using straight ports? Might want to try them out see if you have any noticeable port noise and try flared ports which are usually less noisey.

Rob
Old 3rd January 2013, 06:10 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your comments, everyone !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Steele View Post
Nice sub and nice build so far. Looking forward to your results!
I'll keep you updated !

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarS View Post
you'll love that subwoofer. It's very very clean.
I hope I'll

Quote:
Originally Posted by m R g S r View Post
CNC cut panels? Or all manual cut? Looks great!
Because of a car change, I couldn't buy a full panel (2.44m x 1.22m) and bring it back home by myself. So I ordered at a local shop panels cut at correct sizes : see below pictures.

I've been a PITA customer, because I've got them to cut the panels twice but it was worth the effort : they adjusted very well. Thumbs up to the employee !

All other cuts are hand made, using BOSCH jigsaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inductor View Post
Hi. What project/simulation you are using (enclos.vol/tunning)?
I used both Dominique Petoin website, and WinISD beta. Aiming for a ~67L enclosure (end figure, not raw) tuned at 30Hz. +1,84dB at 40Hz, but F3=26Hz. Should be enough with room gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
It looks very nice. Are using straight ports? Might want to try them out see if you have any noticeable port noise and try flared ports which are usually less noisey.
Straight ports indeed, custom made from plumber PVC tube. 2x76mm (inside diameter) for a length of ~38cm and Mach = 0.05. Should be quite silent, will tell you.
Old 11th February 2013, 01:44 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Building job over, well at least for first serious test listening.

I'm using a QSC RMX1850HD amp to drive it, non-bridged. Active filtering performed on my HTPC, using Console and Ozone, for a 60Hz, 96db/oct.

For music listening, the W12 brings more substance to the music, really appreciate that. When muting the main speakers, there is not so much to hear but the W12 is still enjoyable. No impact, but I think it was expectable and it will just motivate me to go to my next project, new 3-way speakers;

For movies, the result is on the opposite : not subtle, very impressive. I have to lower it a bit, because of my room giving some LF echoes. Tried on Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises : the Bat first takeoff is amazing !

Now I have to fine tune the whole install : cut-over frequency, levels equalization. Also, setup properly the audio-video synchronization because of the delay induced by the active filtering.

More pics will come.
Old 11th February 2013, 06:17 PM   #9
OscarS is offline OscarS  United States
diyAudio Member

With a 60Hz LPF, most music will never see the subwoofer unless your particular musical tastes have tons of deep bass anyways (like R&B, hip hop, etc) . Even without extra deep bass in my music, my W10GTi still manages to bring out subtle cues from down below very cleanly and effortlessly.

...and movies with sub-bass...it kicks the living crap out of the house without so much as a hicccup.

Last edited by OscarS; 11th February 2013 at 06:20 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!