got a free amp, let's build me a sub! - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2003, 03:14 AM   #21
cowanrg is offline cowanrg  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cowanrg
hum, maybe 4 10's in a H dipole woofer setup. i would do more, but size is a small factor (the room has maggies in 5.1, and as mentioned before, another sub... space gets taken up quick.

but 4 of those PYLE 10's would probably do nicely. either that or 4 of them in a sealed box

Quote:
Originally posted by JOE DIRT®
If you want some fast bass in the 60hz and up region....I would go with multiples of 10" or 8" for that matter......that way you can keep the cabinet small and get some good punch
Old 16th November 2003, 06:55 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

adire audio -tempest -15"-$150
Maelstrom-18"-$300

stryke audio-AV15-15"-$205

these are the budget "kings" of sub drivers(often used for IBs too)
adire list many box designs for various alignments too

if at all possible an IB is unbeatable for the money--or for any amount of money for that matter

check out the "cult"- http://f20.parsimony.net/forum36475/index.htm
Old 16th November 2003, 05:18 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

I still think it wierd to assume you get "faster" bass when you use a whole mess of smaller drivers. I prefer using fewer larger drivers because:

a: They will get lower with less effort

b: with the larger cone area they won't have to move nearly as much as the smaller drivers to get the same spl. Which do you think is "faster" (if that's what we're gonna call it), six 10" drivers moving 5mm per stroke, or two 15's or 18's moving 1 or 2 mm per stroke?

I'd say the latter, if it even matters at all....

Hide this!Advertise here!