got a free amp, let's build me a sub!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok, so i came across a free velodyne subwoofer plate amp (from an HGS18, 1250W RMS, 3000W peak), and i want to use it to build a sub. ive never done a sub before. i just need something to augment my other one. size is slightly a factor (nothing like 4' x 4'), but a good sized cube (2'x2') is fine.

this was a freebie thing, so i dont want to spend a whole lot (it wasnt a planned expense). so if i could do a nice sub at $80 for a driver, that would rule. the only real cost will be driver, because MDF is practically free (as far as expenses go), and the plate has all necessary inputs, controls, etc...

so, what should i do? can i do a nice open baffle dipole? or since its such a powerful amp, would i be best doing a sealed cube with just a decent 12 or 15?

hum, i remembered i get infinity stuff cheap. would it be good to use one of their higher end car drivers? specifically their kappa perfects. they have a 12" that runs like $450 each, i can get it for around $150 new. they also have their slightly lower version of that for $350, can get it for $70. if these are decent for home use, that would be perfect! they can handle the power for sure. i could do 2 of them in a bass reflex or something?

hey~! then u just found yourself a solution...get a nice one from ur place (u're the dealer right) get all the necessatry specs and calculate a box out...there was a software that was mentioned not so long ago that helps you to measure the optimal box size for your particular driver...search around for it...saw it last week I think...

cowanrg said:
ok, so i came across a free velodyne subwoofer plate amp (from an HGS18, 1250W RMS, 3000W peak), and i want to use it to build a sub. ive never done a sub before. i just need something to augment my other one. size is slightly a factor (nothing like 4' x 4'), but a good sized cube (2'x2') is fine.

I have a better idea. Sell me the amp for $50 and it'll solve both our problems....:D

Drool 1250 watts RMS to play with. God the mind reels at the ideas........

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
This is what you do. IMO of course.

The best sounding bass I have ever heard is from a dipole. If your budget is $200.00 Go to parts express, and get two of the 15" quattro woofers.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=295-560&DID=7

Put them in a W-Frame Dipole with a depth of about 24 inches if you can. You will also have to adjust the height and width to suit the 15" drivers. That is described here:

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/woofer.htm

Cross it 4th order at 90Hz to your mains, and 4th order at 40Hz to your other sub. Put your other sub as tightly into a corner of the room as possible (it is only there to operate below all room modes). The dipole sub should be placed between the mains with at least 4 feet of open air behind it. One of the open ends should face you.

Oh yeah, and if that other sub you have isnt sealed, seal it quick if you are looking for the best bass response.

Again, all in my opinion.

Have a good one,
Paul Hilgeman

JOE DIRT® said:
If you want some fast bass in the 60hz and up region....I would go with multiples of 10" or 8" for that matter......that way you can keep the cabinet small and get some good punch

Yeah, as in many bass guitar amp. 4X10'' or 8X8'' in a HUGE closed box. As this one from ampeg, what a sexy setup! One day I'll replace my fridge with this kind of thing :devilr:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.