quick question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes.
But generally it's not going to make a "good" passive radiator, once you stick it in the box the FS will go up. Passives are usually very soft suspension and heavy moving mass so when you stick them in a box they are still tuned low enough to be useful. You can always load the woofer cone with mass to lower the FS. There is a big YMMV on how well your woofer takes to this modification though.

It's also possible to add various (usually passive) tuned electrical networks to the terminals of a speaker used as a passive radiator, even allowing you some tunable controls you can alter while listening. Can't remember where I read about doing this...Sorry I'm not more help...but you might get a PR with a network to avoid some common port problems. You might control the cone below tuning. You might lmiit excursion. I'd have to think about this more... And of course a PR might take less space than an equivalent port.

I've doped down many a driver; spraying or brushing on epoxy is one way, but others prefer lead weights or lengths of solder glued around the dust cap near where the coil former meets cone.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.