12 inch car sub in B&W 801 cabinets?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The MB Quart PWH 302 works fine in a sealed B&W 801 (clone) cabinet. Two should pretty much knock my socks off.

Attachments

• 2013-01-03_19-03-20_895.jpg
    2013-01-03_19-03-20_895.jpg
    695.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 2013-01-01_15-57-23_155.jpg
    2013-01-01_15-57-23_155.jpg
    442.6 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
It looks like I can get a pair of Infinity Reference 1250W (Yes, the power handling IS the model number) for about $100/pair, new in box. Fs = 25.4, Vas = 3^ft (84 liters), Qts = .47, Xmax = 11.5 mm. Close enough?

The newer model 1260w is $59.99 shipped from amazon....

Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 1260w 12-Inch 1200-watt High-Performance Subwoofer (Single Voice Coil): Car Electronics

Just so you know, people are selling them cheap, because they are cheap. The infinity and JBL car woofers have been discussed on here before as viable budget sub options.

I have to add a huge amount of weight to the Dayton 12" passives, .5 kilos, to make the curve look right. That can't be right can it?

If that is the case, have a look at the Acoustic Elegance passive radiators. They have a much lower Fs and might be much better suited to your box. Start with modelling the PR15-700, and then look at the heavier boys if necessary.

If you can't fit a 15" PR, have a look at the CSS Adjustable PRs, like the CSS APR12 12" Adjustable Passive Radiator.

OTOH, as far as I know you will have to use a PR larger than 12" if your bass driver is 12". YMMV.

Enjoy,
Deon

Last edited:
If that is the case, have a look at the Acoustic Elegance passive radiators. They have a much lower Fs and might be much better suited to your box. Start with modelling the PR15-700, and then look at the heavier boys if necessary.

If you can't fit a 15" PR, have a look at the CSS Adjustable PRs, like the CSS APR12 12" Adjustable Passive Radiator.

OTOH, as far as I know you will have to use a PR larger than 12" if your bass driver is 12". YMMV.

Enjoy,
Deon

Those are massive passives! The 700 gram 15" you recommended works very nicely. But how can the air in a 4 by 24 inch tube weigh 700 grams?

Last edited:
Those are massive passives! The 700 gram 15" you recommended works
very nicely. But how can the air in a 4 by 24 inch tube weigh 700 grams?

Hi,

It doesn't. The PR mass is equivalent to a 15" diameter port with a
suitably huge length to be the same tuning as a a 4 by 24 inch tube.

That works out to be about 28 feet long.

rgds, sreten.

3" flared should work and should fit, much cheaper than PR's, and
here PR's have no advantage, well designed ports are better,
PR's are only really needed in relatively small cabinets.

Last edited:
Hi,

I doubt it. You don't run a system as maximum volume most of the time,
you don't listen to sinewaves most of the time, and most of the time low
frequency levels are relatively low, as most systems can't handle them.

E.g. for a ported 100W 2-way speaker sizing the port for about 20W
maximum is about right, many amateur designs oversize the port.

rgds, sreten.

I got the second one going today. Two MB Quarts PWH 302s in B&W 801 sealed cabs now.

Pretty amazing bass!!! I am watching the new Netflix show with Kevin Spacey, and the bass in the intro sounds better than my old VMPS Larger. The cabs were basically free, so I have killer bass for under $200 total (not counting the crossover and the amp). This is a great woofer in a great box.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.