Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th December 2012, 11:57 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

1W/1M charts come to mind straight away.
Old 21st December 2012, 12:57 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realflow100 View Post
Oh so I can just plug any ole big honken speaker into my little 1 watt amp and be bumpin?
I don't think it works quite that way lol
Not any "ole big honken speaker" will "be bumpin" with one watt.

A very large horn loaded speaker with four large drivers could be around 110 dB one watt one meter down at 40 Hz corner loaded in room, and 6-10 dB louder up around 200 Hz.

Is that bumpin' enough for you?

It would take a 90 dB 1 watt one meter speaker 100 watts to do the same, and 1000 watts for an 80 dB 1 watt one meter speaker to do the same.

In the early era of tube amplification, a few watts were all we had, big honking speakers were the only way amplified speech or music could be heard clearly to the back of an auditorium.

Now that amplifier power has become cheap and plentiful, really big speaker enclosures are less popular.
Old 21st December 2012, 03:58 AM   #13
OscarS is offline OscarS  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realflow100 View Post
Oh so I can just plug any ole big honken speaker into my little 1 watt amp and be bumpin?
I don't think it works quite that way lol
It doesn't. You need to stay in school, or go back pick up Physics 101 to begin to start understanding sound waves. Then you can start getting into speakers and then you can look into how the human ear un-levels the playing field with fletcher-munson curves.

People here are trying to help you understand, but you seem to just wanna be "bumpin" with Steve Meade speakers. If you don't like people's responses, you can always ask your bro's over on the car audio forums.
Old 21st December 2012, 04:17 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Real flow .. as you have mentioned in another thread about impedance im sure you are learning.. As long as the impedance of a speakers are not too low for the amplifier you can connect a 1000000 100000Watt speakers if you like.... While experimenting learn about ohms law it looks a little boring to start with but it is very usefull. 1 volt across 1 ohm = 1 amp current. . If we increase the voltage the current will rise.. if we increase the resistance the current will lower. If you have a multimeter a battry and some resistors you can have a mess around and see ohms law in action... Did your amplifier survive driving your blender?????
Old 21st December 2012, 06:33 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

yes my amplifier still works fine like nothing ever happened..
lol
And did you read? I Said I don't Think It Quite Works That Way.. There's a Lot More Involved Than Just hooking any speaker up in order to get good sound..
Old 21st December 2012, 07:23 AM   #16
DeonC is online now DeonC  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Just one cautionary note: a 1W amplifier could damage (or even blow up) a 3000W speaker if driven far enough into clipping distortion. The other guys are right- the power rating is the maximum amount of power a speaker can take. OTOH, if it designed to handle 3000W, it probably has heavy voice coils, and will not work very well with just one watt. Get yourself a nice, cheap, DIY digital amp (they're cheap for the amount of watts, usually) and rather use that.

Enjoy,
Deon
Old 21st December 2012, 07:29 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeonC View Post
Just one cautionary note: a 1W amplifier could damage (or even blow up) a 3000W speaker if driven far enough into clipping distortion. The other guys are right- the power rating is the maximum amount of power a speaker can take. OTOH, if it designed to handle 3000W, it probably has heavy voice coils, and will not work very well with just one watt. Get yourself a nice, cheap, DIY digital amp (they're cheap for the amount of watts, usually) and rather use that.

Enjoy,
Deon
Not so.

A 1w amp driven to completely square wave output will give out (wait for it...)

2 watts!

Not a whelk's chance in a supernova of burning a 3kW coil.

Chris
Old 21st December 2012, 07:39 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

If you take that very efficient 18 inch woofer and mount it in a very effective bass horn, you will be able to play quite loud with 1 watt. Louder than I'm listening to at normal levels.

But you could also hook that 1 watt amp to a tiny Rogers LS3, and get almost no sound.

Here is a good looking small amp

Streacom TL-1 Tube Amplifier Review - HardwareLook.com
Old 21st December 2012, 11:21 AM   #19
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

Danley makes speakers that handle 10KW+ and will play about 110dB with 1W.
Old 21st December 2012, 02:50 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

About 30 years ago I've seen a straight horn of about 7 feet, with a 10" full range speaker, front loaded.
It was at a 200-man theatre behind the screen, pointing right at the screen and was plenty loud with a not so big tube-amp!
Not much bass of course, recordings were not so good, drivers not evolved like they are now.

Hide this!Advertise here!