Differents results from differents simulation sofware

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Closed Box Comparison

Hi OMNIFEX,

My curiosity got the better of me - I couldn’t resist downloading a copy of the Demo version of Eminence Designer and having a play :). It turns out that the Eminence Designer results are much the same as those generated by Hornresp (with the 'resonances masked' option selected).

The result comparisons for a simple closed box example are attached. The very short cylindrical horn included in the Hornresp design has no noticeable effect on the results and is there simply to allow the directivity tool to be used so that the on-axis pressure response can be displayed - similar to Eminence Designer.

The difference in diaphragm displacement values is due to Hornesp calculating the peak figure and Eminence Designer giving the rms figure. The results are practically the same when normalised.

Eminence Designer Inputs:

Density of air = 1.205 kg/m^3
Velocity of sound in air = 344 m/sec
Default driver parameter values
Closed box
Vb = 100 litres
Vb locked
Default box shape
Classical box calculations used

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• HR_Closed_Input.png
    HR_Closed_Input.png
    53.2 KB · Views: 153
  • ED_Closed_Dd.png
    ED_Closed_Dd.png
    232.6 KB · Views: 46
  • ED_Closed_Ze.png
    ED_Closed_Ze.png
    234.4 KB · Views: 53
  • ED_Closed_SPL.png
    ED_Closed_SPL.png
    236 KB · Views: 164
  • HR_Closed_Dd.png
    HR_Closed_Dd.png
    63.6 KB · Views: 146
  • HR_Closed_Ze.png
    HR_Closed_Ze.png
    63.1 KB · Views: 150
  • HR_Closed_SPL.png
    HR_Closed_SPL.png
    64.3 KB · Views: 153
Vented Box Comparison

Hi OMNIFEX,

The result comparisons for a simple vented box example are attached. In this case it is not possible to use the directivity tool in Hornresp, so the power response rather than the pressure response is shown. This is why the Hornresp response falls off more rapidly at the higher frequencies than does the Eminence Designer response, which is extended due to on-axis directivity "beaming".

Eminence Designer Additional Inputs:

Vented box
Single round vent
One flush end
Dv = 100 mm
Lv = 100 mm
Vent dimensions locked

As a matter of interest, how much does it cost to purchase a fully functional licenced version of Eminence Designer?

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• ED_Vented_Dd.png
    ED_Vented_Dd.png
    232.6 KB · Views: 38
  • ED_Vented_Ze.png
    ED_Vented_Ze.png
    234.7 KB · Views: 37
  • ED_Vented_SPL.png
    ED_Vented_SPL.png
    235.8 KB · Views: 46
  • HR_Vented_Dd.png
    HR_Vented_Dd.png
    63.9 KB · Views: 42
  • HR_Vented_Ze.png
    HR_Vented_Ze.png
    63.3 KB · Views: 43
  • HR_Vented_SPL.png
    HR_Vented_SPL.png
    64.5 KB · Views: 46
  • HR_Vented_Input.png
    HR_Vented_Input.png
    53.1 KB · Views: 45
Hi OMNIFEX,

As a matter of interest, how much does it cost to purchase a fully functional licenced version of Eminence Designer?

Kind regards,

David

Hello David.

I am loading up the van for an event today so I will focus on the results you’ve made on Monday. However, I just wanted answer your question in regards to Eminence Designer.

I purchased Eminence Designer from Parts Express in 2001. I don’t believe I paid more than (U.S.) $79.00. The license is on the cardboard box that protects the CD in addition to the Jewel Case. You must use the CD in order for Eminence Designer to start. Of course, you can just make multiple copies of the Disc to prevent having the original damaged.

In 2001, WinISD Pro was not available and, the non-pro version of WinISD was off by 10 Hz in their port tuning. WinISD (Non-Pro) also did not offer calculations so you can put any figure you like in WinISD and it would show the results. I would imagine the developer remedied the issue in the later versions. However, I had already designed 6 Double Eighteens I had no idea where there were tuned and, I was not going to build more boxes in the non-pro version of WinISD. So I started to look for something else.

The demonstration of Eminence Designer offered the same frequency results as LEAP (The DOS version) and the measured results of 1 out 6 Double Eighteens were more accurate in Eminence Designer than WinISD. So I purchased Eminence Designer made 24 more boxes (a mixture Double Twenty Ones, Double Eighteens & Double Fifteens) from 2002 – 2011 and, retuned the 6 previous Double Eighteens in Eminence Designer.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hello David.

Upon viewing the graphs, the two are so close you cannot go wrong with one or the other.

I never focus on maximum output power in loudspeaker simulation software for in pro audio there are just too many variability’s to take into consideration. My main concern is more to wards the consistency of the frequency response. And they are pretty much the same.

Cheers!

Hello David.

Upon viewing the graphs, the two are so close you cannot go wrong with one or the other.

I never focus on maximum output power in loudspeaker simulation software for in pro audio there are just too many variability’s to take into consideration. My main concern is more to wards the consistency of the frequency response. And they are pretty much the same.

Cheers!

Hi OMNIFEX,

A bit like "six of one, half-dozen of the other", it seems :).

Kind regards,

David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.