granite lined sub?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was on a long 4 hour drive yesterday and i was thinking about my next project; a 2.5ish cuft sub enclosure. i have the 250 watt parts express plate amp, and i have the Dayton DVC 15" sub and two MTX terminators from 1996 that are probably only suited for use as passive radiators. but what i was thinking was this.

- two layers of 3/4" MDF is heavy duty. super thick, but would still need some bracing inside the box.

- If i were to put 1/2" slabs of granite inside the box instead, it would make the box sturdier, with less or no bracing required. 1 layer 3/4" mdf and one 1/2" layer of granite.

- that is a space saving of 200 cubic inches for the size i want, of course it would weigh about 60 lbs more.

- i could mount the speakers directly into the granite. solid as a rock! :smash:

I did a search and found a few threads about alternate materials to use such as concrete and epoxy. I was thinking about caulking the granite in the box, then painting on some epoxy or some plasicote, just to be the final nail in the coffin. I want it to be vibration free. Anybody with experience, like prices and stuff on things like that? I am very excited to start this project, I am positivly bursting with ideas! :hot:

I'm not sure if it would make a sizeable difference to have granite (or concrete or anything else like that) in the cabinet if the cabinet was braced properly. I have made one with a slab of granite on the bottom, sort of like those Velodyne subs a few years ago. That seems like it would help to stabalize the whole thing......but I certainly don't have anything to prove that.

Granite is hard to work with and probably not an ideal material after all. Even if you built out of pure granite, you still ought to brace.

Now, another alternative is concrete which is much easier to work with. Consider building the box out of MDF with sorbothane or equivalent glued on. After assembly add concrete cylinders as bracing and pour cement one side at a time (note, make sure MDF does not receive water ....

this way, you should benefit from interfacing between light and heavy materials. Don't know how well it will work in a sub, though.

Petter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.