Building a TH, phase response is not smooth, will this be a problem? (pic inside) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2012, 10:22 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Building a TH, phase response is not smooth, will this be a problem? (pic inside)

Hi guys, I'm new to simulating tapped horns. This is a simulation of a apline 823D in a tapped horn (same parameters as the insubnia in a wider box).

I like the look of the spl response, but the phase response is crazy. It swings 180 degrees twice within the passband of the horn.

Will this cause any issues or lack or performance? Can someone tell me how I should interpret the graph?
Attached Images
File Type: png phase.PNG (27.0 KB, 123 views)
File Type: png spl.PNG (22.4 KB, 120 views)
Old 6th December 2012, 11:01 AM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

the phase must have an enormous range.
The back and the front of the speaker cone are both producing output. That is 180degrees of phase shift just across one octave. Now extend the pass band from 23Hz to 92Hz, a full two octaves. The phase range must be very much higher.
Old 6th December 2012, 11:15 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

So what you're saying is that this is normal phase response for a tapped horn subwoofer?

What happens when two frequencies very close to the 180deg swing are played simultaneous? do they cancel?
Old 6th December 2012, 01:45 PM   #4
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi AlessandroAU (in an undisclosed location :-)),

If you go into the Collaborative Tapped horn project , and do an advanced search for e.g.: "phase response" and "Tom Danley" you'll find some answers to your questions, see, e.g.: Posts #911/914.

Also, if you go to Danley Loudspeakers | Danley Sounds Labs | Danley Sound Labs, Inc. you can find a lot of documentation including White Papers, wire-frame drawings and spec sheets, see: http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/danle...Spec-Sheet.pdf.

It would be nice if you would post your Hornresp Input screen; anyway, your SPL response looks fine for the range below the first big dip/peak/dip.

Regards,
Old 6th December 2012, 02:05 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I'll have a read through that. Here is the input:
Attached Images
File Type: png input.PNG (35.5 KB, 97 views)
Old 7th December 2012, 08:19 AM   #6
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlessandroAU View Post
Thanks, I'll have a read through that. Here is the input:
Hi Alessandro,

IMO:I think you have tuned your TH a tad bit too low.

FYI:

b

PS: Look at your Power setting (Eg) that is IMO too much for this very good driver to handle, In my world at least.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alpine-TH.JPG (807.7 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by bjorno; 7th December 2012 at 08:24 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!