Tempted by opportunities on a driver vs picking a design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I keep stumbling across "very tempting, very interesting" drivers that don't match up with designs I have been planning on. Last year I ran across a guy clearing out an old theater with a LOAD of EV 18" drivers, then another guy with some of the Emminence LAB series, and whats killing me are some McCauley 18" 6256 drivers. Issue with the big guys is they are pro sound designed for 30hz up, and I want a sub to match up with Klipsch Forte or Hersey's high passed around 50 hz or so.

The thought has crossed my mind to build monster two or three way based on one of the 18" woofers as a direct radiator combined with maybe the two horns out of a Hersey, or some other horn mid.

Would a tuned port allow use an octave below the fs?

I need to buy a fresh set of tools, measuring and modeling stuff. Its been a good decade since I was active, and I wasn't deep in the technical side then, more a I like this, like that, want to try this etc. One of the guys whose opinion I respected a lot had a single McCauley 18 and claimed there was nothing better. I suspect it was the 6174 the low end monster fs 20 and 2 inch excursion.

You might want to look at this for a great start for measuring gear.

UMIK-1 | miniDSP

Something like that I am sure. I will be looking at whats around and who has a bundle that does all I want.

I'm not sure if I want to get into room correction in a proprietary system, not if I buy a new front end and find it both incompatible and included.

Basic driver measurements, TS parms to feed some kind of modeling.

Basic and maybe fancy room measurements, RTA, waterfall, maybe some kind of MLSS.

Attachments

• McCauley 6174.JPG
    McCauley 6174.JPG
    847.8 KB · Views: 91
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.