Tempest Shiva or Titanic??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2002, 01:21 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to itzvic
Default Tempest Shiva or Titanic???

I have been doing a lil bit of research lately and i am trying to figure out what driver i am going to use for my home audio sub. Gone is the idea of using my car subs (they belong in a car!). I am stuck between the Adire Audio Tempest, Shiva, or Dayton's Titanic. I am looking for something to play 80% music, 20% movies. I like the idea of a ported shiva, but a sealed tempest (4 cubic feet) would prolly work great in my small room because of the room gain. I have about 500 watts free at 4 ohms, 700 at 2... so im thinking a tempest would be good because of the high power handling. I am just not sure which would sound better for my hip hop music that i am constantly playing. (yes i do consider hip hop music!) If anyone has a good suggestion let me hear it!

Thanks
-ViC
Old 8th February 2002, 02:00 AM   #2
Super is offline Super  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Super
I used a Shiva driver in my sub and am quite happy with it. Although it's ported, I needed phase correction for it to properly integrate with my mains speakers, which is common for ported designs. So if you want to go for a sealed design (which I'd suggest if you need a really fast sub), a sealed Tempest would play a little deeper and a little louder than the Shiva or the Dayton, and will handle a little more power. But in any case, all three are great drivers to work with.
Old 8th February 2002, 04:33 AM   #3
Bob is offline Bob
diyAudio Member

There's some cool small sealed box stuff done with the Parts Express 12" DVC. 600W /Good Xmax/Vas of 4.25 ft3....I'm trying to determine a sub for myself at the moment and this might end up being my choice. But I might try to go small budget and do a blueprint 1201 instead for $80.
It sounds like you might be going larger budget than I, but the 12"DVC might be worth a second look. I agree that any of the ones you listed are a good choice.

Hide this!Advertise here!