Little gem from TangBand

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I just got my new Parts Express catalog, and I saw this little gem in there. So who's gonna be the first to bite?

TBsubwoofer.jpg

Now, I have to admit, "micro" systems that actually perform are pretty cool, but just look at that nifty little tag! :eek: I wonder how many of those are gonna fly off the shelves....

I totally agree. Even my laptop/desktop speaker system uses a top-of-the-line JBL mobile audio subwoofer. :) It's just interesting the direction TB is taking with their line of small speakers. I'm sure there's someone here who likes to work with computer speakers that would like to try it out for something, lol.

It says it plays down to 55 hz, calling it a subwoofer is a little bizarre, especially when you consider drivers that are just a little bigger like the HiVi B4N (and considerably less expensive) that when in a properly designed BR cabinet go quite a bit lower.

http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w3-2000.htm

Going by the frequency response graph its practically a full range driver. Certainly closer to a midrange than a subwoofer. With an rms/aes power handling of 12w (25w peak) and a efficiency of 80db/W/m you'll need 4 (2 per side) to do anything like bass (not even close to sub bass) and for the $277 you'd need to buy them you would be much better off buying something else that is actually capable of low bass - Off the top of my head, for example 2 of these Dayton Audio RSS265HO-4 10" Reference HO Subwoofer 4 Ohm 295-462

http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w3-2000.htm

Going by the frequency response graph its practically a full range driver. Certainly closer to a midrange than a subwoofer. With an rms/aes power handling of 12w (25w peak) and a efficiency of 80db/W/m you'll need 4 (2 per side) to do anything like bass (not even close to sub bass) and for the $277 you'd need to buy them you would be much better off buying something else that is actually capable of low bass - Off the top of my head, for example 2 of these Dayton Audio RSS265HO-4 10" Reference HO Subwoofer 4 Ohm 295-462
An AES power rating uses compressed pink noise with 6 dB dynamic range, an RMS signal is a sine wave which has 3 dB dynamic range, the speaker only handles 6 watts "RMS".

Sub (standard) indeed...

This season, midrange is the new sub bass......

"Do you suffer from low power handling & low efficiency? We have the answer. We offer the patented Bose wave box design to make your piddly weak a$$ driver sound all grown up!! The price? Enough to make you wish you bought a proper subwoofer in the first place, but at least you wife will let you put it in the living room" ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.