Help with 8 inch Sun fire woofer based pushpull tapped horn please?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Help with 8 inch Sun fire woofer based tapped horn please?

Gday I just picked these up on impulse because prolly my medication was off or hopefully I was right in thinking these where too cheap to let go. Here they are. Sunfire Junior Subwoofer -Driver Only | eBay apparrently the seller has 2 not 4 available so ideas of a push pull tapped horn are out. He does have more 10' and 12's for 150 each which is getting to expensive for me. Though a 12 inch tapped horn does sound like a nice option using these sunfire type woofers.

I guess my biggest problem is that I will not be able to get factory specs. I thought maybe I can build a tapped horn. But I would need help with the design. I am also worried that they may even be motional feedback voice coils making them useless. I thought there might be a reason why I got them so cheap.

SUNFIRE: True Sub Super Junior - TS-SJ8

Do you think you good folks help me design a tapped horn for them? Are they even suitable? I will just make a pair of small sealed subs for PC use if they are not suitable for tapped horns.

Last edited:
The motion feedback shouldn't make them useless, as far as I know, most of them just use a piezo pickup mounted to the coil, or a small secondary coil. It should be a functional driver whether it's present or not.

The problem you're going to have is not having proper specs for the driver, which is what you're going to require to model a TH for it.

They do look a bit like Hi-Vi drivers though.

The motion feedback shouldn't make them useless, as far as I know, most of them just use a piezo pickup mounted to the coil, or a small secondary coil. It should be a functional driver whether it's present or not.

The problem you're going to have is not having proper specs for the driver, which is what you're going to require to model a TH for it.

They do look a bit like Hi-Vi drivers though.

Yea They Do. I couldn't get the 4 but I did get 2 or it looks like I will. Its a shame 4 would make a good ppsl cab too I would think. Perhaps I can just scale up volvo's TH design to take an 8 inch driver.

If I remember, they have multiple coils, like the earlier tc sounds.
That way you don't have a really long coil that can char the ends, or the coil not hanging in the magnet.

I'd heard a few of the 8's.
They went deep, but had no output in my mind.
But the box was small compared to a velodyne or definitive anyway.

I'd rather have multiple larger drivers barely moving (less distortion) than a small driver really flying back and forth. As you double the drivers, for the same volume excursion is halved, and distortion drops to 1/4.

Norman

If I remember, they have multiple coils, like the earlier tc sounds.
That way you don't have a really long coil that can char the ends, or the coil not hanging in the magnet.

I'd heard a few of the 8's.
They went deep, but had no output in my mind.
But the box was small compared to a velodyne or definitive anyway.

I'd rather have multiple larger drivers barely moving (less distortion) than a small driver really flying back and forth. As you double the drivers, for the same volume excursion is halved, and distortion drops to 1/4.

Norman

Yea Norman It was a literal impulse buy. Found then in the last 6 minutes and they seemed cheap. And All so for a completely different approach. I have for the last 8 years been buying Richard Allan cg10's and a few 12's and a pair of cg10t's and 8t's.

But the cg10's I have been collecting for a array.I have lost count to be honest but I think I have 8 or maybe as many as 12. Ever body says I cant do any tapped horn but thought maybe I could do a tapped horn in push pull with the 10 or the 12's. I do have 4 of the 12's. They are lovely drivers for what they sell for used. But you do get a few duds off ebay I find. Here are some specs.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...ers-t-s-parameters-attached-richard-allan.gif

Any potential here? I have the cg12 supers and normals.So maybe I have 6 12's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.