JBL 2226H 30 hz "horn" i built

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Without my friends at swedish HifiForum this would never have happened. PetterPersson made a front loaded quarter wave pipe design for Asto, using I believe a 10 inch driver. Asto wrote about how good it sounded. That got me thinking. RIK told me about the design of the Cerwin Vega B36. When he was a teenager he actually took measurments of them in the most expensive shop in Stockholm (NK). He also told me about how brilliant Martinssons designs are (he had recently built a Tham15), only one joint is not 90 or 45 degrees. Also Classe helped with good advice and listening tests.

I have made a quick simulation using precision devices pd.186. It can be used from 20 to 40 Hz. System volume 1225 liters will be 1500 liters with material. The driver is in the same price range as the 15 inches. It will need 4 sheets of plywood. It will take 4 guys to carry it. You will need a truck to move it around. Good thing is that you will only need 200 watts to reach 130dB.

Must be nice

Nice Work ! I really like your microphone stand ! Should I assume that this design will work just as well for the JBL 2226J (16 ohm version). What is the dimension of the horn. I have four 2226J that is looking for a project. This might be it.

I'm looking at a 4th order bandpass and the 2226J looks like it was purpose built for the job, but If I spend 2G, or even $1,200, on drivers my wife will get the kids.

I'm looking at a 4th order bandpass and the 2226J looks like it was purpose built for the job, but If I spend 2G, or even $1,200, on drivers my wife will get the kids.

You missed out on the JBL Tent Sale awhile ago .. It was around $120 for a JBL 4648 bass unit (contains two 2226J) which the price includes shipping. I brought 2 units. The Cabinets was Huge.

Attachments

• JBL2226.jpg
    JBL2226.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 731

The reason I built with JBL 2226 is because I have a few of them. And thats is beacuse I like JBL and collect their drivers. I did not use 2226 because it is good value for money. It is still a very good driver, but overpriced.

The Eighteen sound 15W700 is a much better choise if you want ferrite magnet. They cost new what JBLs cost second hand.

The Faital Pros are much better, but a bit more expensive.

After all, 2226 is a 20+ year old design. They should cost at most 100$ a piece, but when you try to bargain they say, well it costs 480$ new and I want 250$ for it. The only reason JBL can sell them for 480 is that there so many of the srx boxes. Every sold JBL driver is for replacing a broken SRX box. The only reason 2226 sell for around 200$ is because we pay that for them.

JoshK don't think twice about Faital Pro I will be using them as soon as the plans are available, I think they are the best now from Italy built wise and reliability and sound wise. I have heard them in double 18" BR cabinet in Miami from a sound company last year for a Band/DJ show, it ran flawlessly for 18 hours continuously all night till morning (18XL1600).;)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.