24" TH with a PD.2450? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th November 2012, 09:37 PM   #1
abcdmku is offline abcdmku  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 24" TH with a PD.2450?

So I've been looking at the PD.2450 for a while. I'm thinking about a TH for this, I started designing one myself, but I just couldn't get the response how I liked. So I thought I'd get some help form you guys.

Basically my goal is to have a single cab produce 140 dB from 40-100hz in a half space. But be no bigger than 29"×29"×48". Really it could be a scoop, folded horn, or even a vented enclosure, the main point is that I want the driver to be visible. [Which technically eliminates a folded horn]

I'm able to give the driver ~1800w RMS and ~3000w Peak
Old 25th November 2012, 04:39 AM   #2
jwmbro is offline jwmbro  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi, I think you're reaching too far here with your 140dB goal.
By my rough estimation your external dimensions allow for approximately 600l internal volume, perhaps less once folding is accounted for. But even in a rough estimate 600l tapped horn with the PD2450, xmax is reached at about 1700W/6Ω, which gives you 134dB. To get those extra 6dB you'd need two cabs, or at the very least a boundary loading (true quarterspace will get you +6dB).

And this is just a rough estimate simulation, if you fold something to fit in the shape you want it might lose another dB or two.
Old 25th November 2012, 05:29 AM   #3
jwmbro is offline jwmbro  United States
diyAudio Member

However, if you're okay with that much SPL (and I seriously doubt it's possible to get much more with your restrictions), here's my design that has the cone visible:
Click the image to open in full size.

I'm not 100% sure about the hornresp inputs, given the huge throat chamber, there may be better ways to input this type of design there, perhaps someone more experienced with this sort of thing could correct me if there's a better way.

Last edited by jwmbro; 25th November 2012 at 05:34 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!