diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Subwoofers (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/)
-   -   Inexpensive entry to the world of Tapped Horn subs... (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/224107-inexpensive-entry-world-tapped-horn-subs.html)

SpeakerScott 22nd November 2012 09:18 PM

Inexpensive entry to the world of Tapped Horn subs...

2 Attachment(s)
Here is my entry to the world of tapped horn subs. I wanted this to be as low of cost as possible, with reasonably good performance.

Design Goals:
1. Single sheet of plywood.
2. Extension to the low 30's if possible.

After what must of been 8 billion simulations. Then 4 billion fold attempts. I looked at at least 50 or 60 drivers in the $50 and under category.

Lots of the car audio, DVC 8's were promising but typically required such a long horn that more than a single sheet of plywood wouldn't work.

Lots of pro-sound drivers had great output, but not enough extension for my purposes.

I looked at the ubiquitous MCM high excursion 8, which is roughly half the cost of my eventual choice. The issues I had were: concerns regarding T/S accuracy and unit to unit variation, foam surround, and a far less advanced motor structure.

After looking at a whole bunch of options I settled on the Dayton DC205-4. $52 was a bit more than I wanted, but with a rubber surround, copper cap on the pole piece, vented pole and a high linear excursion it looked like a pretty good choice.

I started with a folding the same external dimensions as the TH-MINI from DSL, but it ended up a little bit larger in order to get the extension I wanted.

Because I love a good palindrome I'm tempted to call it the TH-MINIM-HT. Cause, who doesn't love a good palindrome?

katana2112 22nd November 2012 09:36 PM

Mom and Dad sure do!

SpeakerScott 22nd November 2012 09:42 PM

Construction pics:

2 Attachment(s)
Construction pics, laying out the horn.

SpeakerScott 22nd November 2012 09:49 PM

Construction pics:

2 Attachment(s)
More,

SpeakerScott 22nd November 2012 09:58 PM

Construction pics:

2 Attachment(s)
More....I put in a polycarbonate window to watch the woofer. Because who doesn't like to watch woofers. I mean I spend hours on the internet looking at big and small woofers. I've got LED lighting on my woofers too.

SpeakerScott 22nd November 2012 10:02 PM

Construction Pics:

2 Attachment(s)
Moar!

SpeakerScott 22nd November 2012 10:07 PM

Video...

It moves a lot of air!!!

Dayton DCS205-4 Tapped Horn - YouTube

Scott

Brian Steele 23rd November 2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeakerScott (Post 3252371)
It moves a lot of air!!!

Dayton DCS205-4 Tapped Horn - YouTube

Scott

Nice work there. Now for some impedance and FR measurements, to see how close you got to the target response :)

epa 23rd November 2012 12:58 PM

gr8
rastaman vibration,from a single sheet:D

cyto 24th November 2012 12:08 AM

Man that is awesome!!