Any videos of SS15, Xoc1 TH18, or THAM 15?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Maxo,

I understand your argument and for that reason you should be aware of the limitations of the SS15. It is designed for relative weak drivers with a low motor force. It does that job wonderful but not if you want high output. The max calculated output of 127 dB will not be reached.

Btw what nobody seems to mention is that the directivity advantage of a TH can be obtained with delayed stacks of basreflex or bandpass systems, if wanted.

Check out these plans for the "cubo sub":

Cubo Sub
(scroll down page to see plans)

Only a hair bigger than the ss15, at 30x30x24", and probably about the same weight. Better low end extension by virtue of it being a bandpass / tapped horn hybrid design, having a larger chamber in front of the driver. Very interesting, wonder how it sim's?

See here.....

cubo sub - Speakerplans.com Forums - Page 1
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/192707-best-sub-5.html

Last edited:
Hi Maxo,

I understand your argument and for that reason you should be aware of the limitations of the SS15. It is designed for relative weak drivers with a low motor force. It does that job wonderful but not if you want high output. The max calculated output of 127 dB will not be reached.

Btw what nobody seems to mention is that the directivity advantage of a TH can be obtained with delayed stacks of basreflex or bandpass systems, if wanted.

what an interesting concept
can you elaborate more

Well, most TH’s are not real horns. The expansion rate of the pipe is usually not large enough that it will function like a true horn (besides the hug scoop and the Cyclone for instance). Nevertheless, all TH’s do have a true directivity pattern that is generated by the distance between the two sound sources within the pipe (driver and tap).

A similar distance can be achieved with several omni-directional subs (like reflex systems for instance) on a row in a so called delayed stack. Using delayed stacks is how they often do it at large concerts. That way they can change the directivity pattern when circumstances ask for it while keeping the advantages of relative small relfex cabs with maximum bandwidth.

We have 4 x SS15's with some clamp-on extensions which we regularly take out to gigs with up to about 400 people. Sorry no video, but I've attached a pic to show a bit of crowd love...

The extensions do more for the directivity giving another 3dB or so in a good beam in front.

We use RCF l15p200ak drivers in them and love the portability and efficiency, but are planning to make a set of 4 x th18's (xoc's design) for gigs where we want the strength in 35-45 hz where the SS15's drop away. 99% of people do not notice anythinig lacking here (the SS15's are plenty loud and distortion free) but we want to give the bigger boxes a go.

To find out more about our rig which uses 7 driver unity horn tops and runs of a solar charged 24v battery bank, check us out on FB as D.I.Y. Hifi...

Happy building! :)

Rich
diyhifi.biz | DiY HiFi Solar Powered Sound System

Attachments

• DIY Hifi 21-12-12 Merri Creek Melbourne.jpg
    DIY Hifi 21-12-12 Merri Creek Melbourne.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 272
Hey everyone, I have scoured the Internet and YouTube but seemingly cannot find any videos of these speakers in action. YouTube is loaded with BFM speaker videos and scoops but all I have found of the above listed speakers is a high school kid time lapse building Xoc's sub and a very short showing of a THAM 15. Does anyone have any videos of these speakers in action?
Kctess5 (who is the guy in the TH18 time-lapse assembly video), also made a video of his TH18 cabs in action.
Link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIgY99MDAqI

Or go to YouTube and search for TH18 :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.