Port Blocking

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am working on a design for a TL subwoofer. One aspect common to all of the designs is a rectangular port from 1-4" tall by 8.5" wide (depending on which design). Now for most of the designs, the port will be quite a distance from the speakers, so I won't be able to use the speaker grills to cover the port (more so if the port is on the back). I have a quite curious cat (actually, it's my daughter's but...) that might be able to actually fit in the port .

What are some suggestions as to methods of blocking the port from curious hands/objects (like grandkids and their toys) or curious animals? I don't want to have to fish a favorite toy out of my speaker or worse, have to fish an animal out of it. What materials would block such incursions yet allow for free airflow so it doesn't change the output of the speaker? Most designs I see on the site seem to just leave it open (I guess they don't have such animals or small children).

:scratch2:...............:bulb:

electric_fly_killer.jpg

Last edited:
I had to cover the drivers in a floor firing coffee table's 2 -12" drivers with 1/4" mesh hardware cloth.
I used plywood rings like isobaric spacers/mounts to clamp the hardware cloth and allow clearance for the speaker travel.
That kept the kittens from playing push-push on the drivers.

Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.