ESP Linkwitz transform PCB - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th November 2012, 07:24 PM   #11
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Looking at IC1A: it looks like you'll be loosing channel separation compared to Rod Elliott's circuit, and it will not be the same for the inverting/non-inverting configurations. Elliott uses the inverting summer configuration, which I would recommend.

Regards,
Old 20th November 2012, 12:21 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I would add a ground plane and guard traces between input and output. And why use trough hole components? SMD is usually the way to go, shorter traces.. Personally I like the BB OPA2134 a lot, but as stated already there are plenty of capable opamps out there.
Old 20th November 2012, 07:18 PM   #13
wmb is offline wmb  United States
diyAudio Member

If you decide to put it inside the plate amp, there is a reasonable chance that you could pick off the supply voltage from inside the amp. It's likely to have a regulated supply for its line-level circuitry. Some plate amps have an internal split supply like +-12V that would be perfect.

Even if it doesn't have a split supply, you could tap off whatever DC supply that it does have, regulate that down, then derive a virtual ground with a resistive divider with capacitor bypass. That would be tidier than having external wall warts and wires.
Old 27th November 2012, 11:27 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Thanks to my nice teacher I finished making to PCB for the filter. The milling machine made some mistakes in cutting the board outline and also left half of the component holes undrilled (most probably operator's fault).

Anyway; I can finish the PCB by myself using a 0,8 mm Dremel drill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imgp3202.jpg (782.7 KB, 137 views)
Old 28th November 2012, 01:43 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Perhaps it's just a photographic artifact, but it appears that the copper plate is a bit oxidized. You might want to remove that before soldering; otherwise the solder won't flow as well. You can soak it in a vinegar/salt/water solution, then thoroughly rinse in clean water after the copper becomes bright. Google for "chemistry with pennies" for proportions.

With your layout and fabrication, there will be a fair amount of capacitance between the various opamp pins, so start with an opamp that is fairly stable; don't go for a super high bandwidth one initially.

Enjoy!
Old 28th November 2012, 10:33 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmb View Post
Perhaps it's just a photographic artifact, but it appears that the copper plate is a bit oxidized. You might want to remove that before soldering; otherwise the solder won't flow as well. You can soak it in a vinegar/salt/water solution, then thoroughly rinse in clean water after the copper becomes bright. Google for "chemistry with pennies" for proportions.

With your layout and fabrication, there will be a fair amount of capacitance between the various opamp pins, so start with an opamp that is fairly stable; don't go for a super high bandwidth one initially.

Enjoy!
Hello,

I don't see any signs of oxidization on the copper layer but it has some fingerprints on it. Better to clean it with some cleaning solvent after I finish the drilling.

Also, I have measured the power supply rails on the plate amp. It has a double-sided supply of 40 VDC. Unfortunately the maximum recommended input voltage for 78L15 is only 30 V. Maybe a simple series zener diode/transistor pre-regulator arrangement could be used to make the supply voltages suitable for 78L15.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14179_210_1.jpg (12.6 KB, 103 views)
Old 29th November 2012, 12:58 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Your pre-regulator will work, but the transistor might need some heat-sinking, depending on how much current you are drawing. I wonder if the power transformer might have additional taps for lower voltages? I would be a little surprised if +-40V is the only voltage inside the plate amp, as they usually have some lower-voltage circuitry for auto-power-on and the like. But maybe not.

There exist linear regulators that can handle more than 40V, for example MAX5023/5024, LT3012, LR12, TL783. Some semiconductor companies are pretty good about giving you a few free samples. TI is certainly very generous in that respect.
Old 29th November 2012, 01:12 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Actually, the venerable LM317 (positive) and LM337 (negative) adjustable regulators can handle an input-to-output differential of 40V. If you want to run your rails at +-15V, the differential from 40V is 25V, well within the limit.
Old 29th November 2012, 01:15 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

... Mouser sells LM317 for $0.62 and LM337 for $0.68. You set the output voltage with a couple of resistors.

Hide this!Advertise here!