DIY Subwoofers For An Outdoor Nightclub - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2012, 06:16 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Thanks epa! Please note that when I said "cheap & easy to fix", I meant that the speakers need to be easily & quickly reparable at a reasonable cost, which rules out exotic or not so well known drivers.

This system is going to be built on a budget (which I have no control over), so something is going to be compromised. This, along with the def DJs that will be playing on it, is going to cause problems. I've heard that B&C drivers are basically indestructible, so that is what I have been modelling in hornresp. I tried modelling some RCF drivers, but Fs is missing from the specs of many of their woofers.

I've also been going back & forth with the whole FLH idea; while I don't have the space for 6 LABhorns, I do have the space for a couple of these, or a couple tuba 60's, both of which will probably end up being slightly more efficient than a TH.

-Eric
Old 14th November 2012, 06:59 PM   #12
Djim is offline Djim  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler359 View Post
I tried modelling some RCF drivers, but Fs is missing from the specs of many of their woofers.
Hi Eric,

You can find/download all datasheets from the RCF website.
Old 14th November 2012, 07:52 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djim View Post
Hi Eric,

You can find/download all datasheets from the RCF website.
Thanks Djim, but many of their drivers seem to be missing Fs in the T/S parameters (or I'm blind? maybe...). Below is an example, see if you can find it:

RCF - LF18N451
Old 14th November 2012, 07:57 PM   #14
Djim is offline Djim  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi Eric,

Download the spec-sheet on that page,it's all in there.
Old 14th November 2012, 07:59 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Ok, I did not see that, thanks:-)
Old 14th November 2012, 07:59 PM   #16
maxo is offline maxo  United States
diyAudio Member

Stiffler,
what damage most tapped horns subs
is driver over excursion that happen if you dont set your subsonic filter ( highpass at 35hz or 42hz to say a number )
to the recomended value for a given cab design and driver
then 2nd enemy is over voltage if you dont set your limiter correctly and last but not least excesive on duty cycle if you are hitting hard your limiters
because you want more SPL on the dance floor and instead of getting more amps and cabs you crank up the mixer output

if you use a DBX drivereack for example or any other similar digital loudspeaker processor
that can let you set your high pass and low pass filters fir yous subs 1st according to the specs of the sub enclosure and chosen driver
and set the limiter accordingly so no matter what your DJ do on the board
your amps never output more voltage than your cabs can take

you will have a set and forget long life system
the rule of thumbs is that you work with a 40% - 30% headroom
the limiter meter should engage only on some loud parts or hard hits
not all the time, or you will have driver failure not for overvoltage but for overheating of the coil working at 80 or 90 % duty cycle to give you some numbers

that said, you must aim for your desired SPL's on the dance floor
with sufficient subs and tops that let you stay in the ballpark of your choosen
SPL and still have around 40% headroom
on your chosen amps

if you balance your system like that, and set your limiters accordingly
you will have a bulletproof system, unless somebody tweak your driverack for example
but those can be installed on a locked room or lock the front panel with password

my 2 cents
Max.

Last edited by maxo; 14th November 2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 14th November 2012, 08:00 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

As I have no experience with any of these pro sound drivers, is one brand better than the other? Unless I find a wholesaler, I will probably buy all of the components from PE.
Old 14th November 2012, 08:23 PM   #18
epa is offline epa  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

it seems the b&c 18 tbx 100 is a verry good price preformer ,on your side of the pond.
edit/i found this one i designed around the tbx ,i think kctes bild a couple of them.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by epa; 14th November 2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old 15th November 2012, 02:15 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

THAT'S A MIGHTY FINE RENDERING!!

Thanks Erik:-)
Old 15th November 2012, 02:17 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler359 View Post
While I'm pretty sure I want to use a tapped horn design, I'm not sure which "style" would work best, or if it even matters. Additionally, I have not worked with any of the drivers that I see others using, so I have no Idea where I should be looking. I have spent a great deal of time on the parts express website, and just from the comments there it looks like B&C & RCF might be good choices, and Eminence might be a good cheaper alternative. Ultimately, the drivers need to either be cheap & easy to fix, or cheap to replace. As for the enclosure, while size really doesn't matter, my partner isn't going to let me stick 6 LABhorns up there. The subs will either need to be low & long (like under a stage/VIP area), or be large cubes (3'-4') that can double as dance platforms.

While I am not looking for festival level sound, it needs to fill a 100' X 50' area and survive the occasional dubstep track.

Thanks in advance,

Eric
You should probably check out the forums at speaker plans, they have a huge amount of DIY sub plans discussed:

Speakerplans.com Forums

Horns and tapped horns have not entirely taken over, ported subs are still widely used for various reasons.

http://forum.speakerplans.com/which-...opic72375.html

Last edited by turbodawg; 15th November 2012 at 02:24 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!