Lab 15 design suggestions for HT use?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have a Lab 15 just waiting to be put into use in my HT. I have played around with designing an enclosure for it. But until now I didn't have an amp. Now I have a TA3020 amp and SMPS800RE on their way to me. This should be plenty of power for the sub.

Design goals:
For use in a home theater, so the lower this can go the better.
I am looking to keep this around 5 cf. (6 cf max.)

I am looking a making a TL with a response down to 20 Hz. Total size is ~5 cf.
A br including the port models about the same size and fr.

I am looking for anyone that has experience with TL or tapped horns for home theater. In searching the forum I found a some people using these for pro audio use. But not much info on HT.

Later tonight I will try to post measured T/S and box sims.

Involve a chamber into the design of about 20000 to 37500 cc (Vtc).

Use a small section diameter / horn area (S1 - S5) throughout the horn with a low/small expansion rate. This will limit maximum output but will be sufficient for impressive performance in a normal sized room.

Aim at a f3 - f6 of 20 Hz.

6CF is possible.

For spectaculair performance you will have to increase the horn area's and increase the horn length accordingly.

Anything from 9 - 18 CF (or higher).

Best regards Johan

Hello,

I have a Lab 15 just waiting to be put into use in my HT. I have played around with designing an enclosure for it. But until now I didn't have an amp. Now I have a TA3020 amp and SMPS800RE on their way to me. This should be plenty of power for the sub.

Design goals:
For use in a home theater, so the lower this can go the better.
I am looking to keep this around 5 cf. (6 cf max.)

I am looking a making a TL with a response down to 20 Hz. Total size is ~5 cf.
A br including the port models about the same size and fr.

I am looking for anyone that has experience with TL or tapped horns for home theater. In searching the forum I found a some people using these for pro audio use. But not much info on HT.

Later tonight I will try to post measured T/S and box sims.

Hi,

If you find it necessary: At a small SPL/FR flatness expense: You can tune this ML_TL suggestion even lower than 23 Hz using a Total System Volume less than 5 cu.ft.

If you're interested I let you know the exact amount of required stuffing and the ~damping material density needed, in a few days at most

b:)

Attachments

• Lab15_ML-TL.JPG
    Lab15_ML-TL.JPG
    327.7 KB · Views: 814
Hi,

If you find it necessary: At a small SPL/FR flatness expense: You can tune this ML_TL suggestion even lower than 23 Hz using a Total System Volume less than 5 cu.ft.

If you're interested I let you know the exact amount of required stuffing and the ~damping material density needed, in a few days at most

b:)

I like that. I will try to model it up in hornresp in a few days. I don't mind a slightly drooping response, as my room will more than make up for it. I have been aiming at as low of a cutoff point as I can. But there is only so far you can push a single 15 in a small box. Your model may be a good mix. I do like that it is nontappered. This should be easy to make. So, yes, I am interested.

J Bell - Yes, PR's have been recommended to me. But I don't have the funds to do that.

Hi Y'all,

As nobody seems to be interested in the two LAB15 driver (brand new, still in the box) that I have offered in the market place, I might just have a go at this one. (Anyone wants two LAB15s? Cheap, well inexpensively. :))

Anyway, I drew up a fold reflecting bjorno's Hornresp Input screen. When we know the stuffing details I'll add them to the drawing.

Regards,

Attachments

• LAB15_MLTL_by_bjorno_sheet_1.pdf
    28.8 KB · Views: 284
Hi Y'all,

As nobody seems to be interested in the two LAB15 driver (brand new, still in the box) that I have offered in the market place, I might just have a go at this one. (Anyone wants two LAB15s? Cheap, well inexpensively. :))

Anyway, I drew up a fold reflecting bjorno's Hornresp Input screen. When we know the stuffing details I'll add them to the drawing.

Regards,

I wouldn't mind a second lab. But I don't have the money this year. Sorry.

I really like the drawing you did, I have been trying to find an easy way to fold enclosures. Did you do that in a normal CAD app?

J Bell - Yes, PR's have been recommended to me. But I don't have the funds to do that.

Stuffed TL, or PR is about the options that I see for this. Of the two, the PR's gets you smaller.

You can get three dayton 12" PR's for $100. Considering you can go cheaper on the cabinet making, I don't think that's a bad deal.

By cheaper, I mean, you can downfire or frontfire the Lab15, and then use 3 sides for the PR's. If you downfire the Lab, you can use cheap MDF for cabinet material. Buy a bit of black stretch fabric, and sew a 'sock' that will stretch over the cabinet. (rounded corners a bonus) Rear mount the PR's, and slip the sock over the cabinet. Staple top and bottom. Add a contrasting maple top to cover your staples/top, mount your Lab15, wire, add feet, and you are done. (you can even get prefinished maple or pine from home depot or lowes in varying sizes if you wish)

That will give you a Wife Approved Factor that I think will be tough to achieve any other way with your particular driver.

Now... put a price on that....

Is BR still on the table? I saw one design on finnish forum with 150 litre 20Hz tuning and 6" port 80 cm length. Over 1m tall enclosure. Port airspeed and group delay is not confirmed. Maybe this can be worked with WinISD.

MLTL is/can be a BR. It is basically just a more advanced model. WinISD doesn't account for driver placement or enclosure shape. The longer the longest dimension the more difference, or potential for difference there is between the two types of models.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.