diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Subwoofers (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/)
-   -   Lab 15 design suggestions for HT use? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/223358-lab-15-design-suggestions-ht-use.html)

duanebrow 11th November 2012 06:04 PM

Lab 15 design suggestions for HT use?
 
Hello,

I have a Lab 15 just waiting to be put into use in my HT. I have played around with designing an enclosure for it. But until now I didn't have an amp. Now I have a TA3020 amp and SMPS800RE on their way to me. This should be plenty of power for the sub.

Design goals:
For use in a home theater, so the lower this can go the better.
I am looking to keep this around 5 cf. (6 cf max.)

I am looking a making a TL with a response down to 20 Hz. Total size is ~5 cf.
A br including the port models about the same size and fr.

I am looking for anyone that has experience with TL or tapped horns for home theater. In searching the forum I found a some people using these for pro audio use. But not much info on HT.

Later tonight I will try to post measured T/S and box sims.

m R g S r 11th November 2012 06:16 PM

20HZ tapped horn for a 15" driver at 6C.F. Is out of the question. Sorry.
My tapped horn for my lab 12 is 3 times that size.

duanebrow 11th November 2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m R g S r (Post 3237579)
20HZ tapped horn for a 15" driver at 6C.F. Is out of the question. Sorry.
My tapped horn for my lab 12 is 3 times that size.

That is what I came up with also. At 40 Hz it is a different story...

Do you know of anyone who has used the lab 15 in a HT?

tb46 12th November 2012 03:10 AM

Hi duanebrow,

You might find this music oriented thread interesting: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwo...ealed-box.html

Regards,

Rademakers 12th November 2012 12:14 PM

Involve a chamber into the design of about 20000 to 37500 cc (Vtc).

Use a small section diameter / horn area (S1 - S5) throughout the horn with a low/small expansion rate. This will limit maximum output but will be sufficient for impressive performance in a normal sized room.

Aim at a f3 - f6 of 20 Hz.

6CF is possible.

For spectaculair performance you will have to increase the horn area's and increase the horn length accordingly.

Anything from 9 - 18 CF (or higher).

Best regards Johan

jbell 12th November 2012 01:17 PM

you thought about a pair of passive radiators?

bjorno 12th November 2012 08:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by duanebrow (Post 3237561)
Hello,

I have a Lab 15 just waiting to be put into use in my HT. I have played around with designing an enclosure for it. But until now I didn't have an amp. Now I have a TA3020 amp and SMPS800RE on their way to me. This should be plenty of power for the sub.

Design goals:
For use in a home theater, so the lower this can go the better.
I am looking to keep this around 5 cf. (6 cf max.)

I am looking a making a TL with a response down to 20 Hz. Total size is ~5 cf.
A br including the port models about the same size and fr.

I am looking for anyone that has experience with TL or tapped horns for home theater. In searching the forum I found a some people using these for pro audio use. But not much info on HT.

Later tonight I will try to post measured T/S and box sims.

Hi,

If you find it necessary: At a small SPL/FR flatness expense: You can tune this ML_TL suggestion even lower than 23 Hz using a Total System Volume less than 5 cu.ft.

If you're interested I let you know the exact amount of required stuffing and the ~damping material density needed, in a few days at most

b:)

duanebrow 13th November 2012 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjorno (Post 3239135)
Hi,

If you find it necessary: At a small SPL/FR flatness expense: You can tune this ML_TL suggestion even lower than 23 Hz using a Total System Volume less than 5 cu.ft.

If you're interested I let you know the exact amount of required stuffing and the ~damping material density needed, in a few days at most

b:)

I like that. I will try to model it up in hornresp in a few days. I don't mind a slightly drooping response, as my room will more than make up for it. I have been aiming at as low of a cutoff point as I can. But there is only so far you can push a single 15 in a small box. Your model may be a good mix. I do like that it is nontappered. This should be easy to make. So, yes, I am interested.

J Bell - Yes, PR's have been recommended to me. But I don't have the funds to do that.

tb46 13th November 2012 11:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Y'all,

As nobody seems to be interested in the two LAB15 driver (brand new, still in the box) that I have offered in the market place, I might just have a go at this one. (Anyone wants two LAB15s? Cheap, well inexpensively. :-))

Anyway, I drew up a fold reflecting bjorno's Hornresp Input screen. When we know the stuffing details I'll add them to the drawing.

Regards,

m R g S r 13th November 2012 11:56 PM

Oliver do you need a 3015lf to trade for the lab 15?


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:43 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2