1.5" baffle thick enough for TC Epic 10" with 500W?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I plan to make a sub enclosure with a 1.5" baffle that will be routed in ~0.65" to allow for a flush mounted Epic 10"...so I will be left with less than 1" of MDF to screw this beast to...will that be enough and is the 1.5" baffle thickness enough?

THX
Depends on the size of the baffle, 3/4" is perfectly adequate for a 12" square with a 10", while a 1.5" unbraced baffle in a refrigerator size cabinet would be floppy.

Why are you planning to flush mount the driver?

Even my 8" RS sub makes my 3/4" X 9" X 17" baffle profusely vibrate.
Even with a brace in the middle of it to the back board and it resonates at around 200hz to 250hz.
It sounds really bad with a sine sweep test.
But it is not as noticeable with music playing.

I also used particle board instead of some good plywood as it is very expensive to use.

FWIW

jer :)

I won't argue aesthetic points, but the baffle, presumably having the least area to flex, will not be the weak point, the rest of the .75" components are.

That does not imply that properly braced .75" is inadequate.

There will be lots of 3/4" ply bracing and the sides of the cabinet are curved so that should improve stiffness as well...

Cabinet height is ~18" and will have two braces horizontally from front to back.

I am more concerned with the weight of the magnet pulling the fasteners out of the MDF...that is what was included with the sub so maybe i am over thinking it.

I am more concerned with the weight of the magnet pulling the fasteners out of the MDF...that is what was included with the sub so maybe i am over thinking it.
For home use pull out due to driver weight won't be a problem, but T-nuts would definitely be needed on the road with a heavy driver mounted to MDF.
A drop of glue on the screw tip and head can help prevent spin-out from vibration.

If the fasteners do strip out, you can always add T-nuts later ;).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.