Need port advice - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2012, 11:07 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Need port advice

I just picked up from a buddy 4 dayton rss390hf 15" subwoofers that were left over from his project ( dont ask me why he had them left over ). Anyways, i have a spare 15 cuft enclosure that i made for a project a few months ago that i abandoned and would like to make a push push subwoofer with these drivers and that enclosure. Now i have a few extra ports left over but i doubt they will be big enough since there only 7" long and 3" in diameter. What would be a good port for a tuning of around 18hz-20hz? i could go lower if its easier but im looking for something to put in my living room that can deliver some decent spl. Thanks again.
Old 10th November 2012, 11:24 AM   #2
djn is online now djn  United States
diyAudio Member

Here is a WinISD on your project. You can see that with 4 of those, the curves are not much different if you vent the box or not. Personally, I would go with a sealed box, that way you are not getting any noise from the vents and the sound is generally tighter or faster sounding. Those are very good subs by the way.
Attached Images
File Type: png 4 subs.png (130.5 KB, 52 views)
Old 11th November 2012, 01:43 PM   #3
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Hi,

Agree with djn: 4 dayton rss390hf Drivers in a BR box need more than 22 cu.ft of volume but 2 drivers in 15 cu.ft would make a good BR if properly damped.

b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dayton-RSS390HF-4_~192L_~6.8cu.ft_OD-ML-QWP.jpg (799.7 KB, 31 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!