A few newbie questions :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm looking to replace my current sub and I have 3 options to go from.

My current sub is a EPOS ELS sub 10"driver 300w amp.

The options I have been toying with are;

1) Use the Epos sub amp and build a new sub using one active and one passive JBL GT4-10.

2) Same amp for a single sub using JBL GT4-12

3) Buy a new BK electronics XXls400 subwoofer (british company)

The first 2 options will only cost me the building materials as I have all the JBL subs already along with the amp.

Just looking for recommendations and advice on what option to go for.

Hi Moonfly,

I'm not quite sure what PR is as I'm new to building a sub.

I have 2xJBL 10" subs and 1xJBL 12"sub that I have no use for any more, So I was thinking of either building one 12" sub or a Sub that use's both of the 10" subs one passive and one active.

Dimensions im not sure. I don't have the software so would need someone to do that :)

Hmmmm...

If you're willing to put £65 down, you could get yourself a JBL GTO1214 off Amazon.

Mine's currently in one of those prefab 35L sealed cabinets (Qtc ~0.8), and sounds rather good (XO ~40Hz).
Planning on putting it in a suitably large ported cabinet where it'll hit 120dB down to 20Hz.

You could use the amplifier you have, so long as there's no onboard eq/other signal processing.

Fairly sure the BK electronics subs use Peerless drivers. Chances are they'll be very good, but certainly more expensive than the JBL.

HTH
Chris

Hi mark31385,

If I understand you correctly, you already have a JBL GT4-12 woofer. How about building something along the lines of the JBL recommended vented enclosure (or larger, if you have the room). You should be able to find the specification sheet using Google, I'll attach the boxes and the T/S parameters for the GT4-12.
And you could build two more small subs with the 10" drivers........

Regards,

Attachments

• JBL_GT4_12_box.jpg
    JBL_GT4_12_box.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 59
  • JBL_GT4_12_TS.jpg
    JBL_GT4_12_TS.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 58
I understand now, my bad.

As I have 2 identical 10" JBLs I thought I could get away with using one as passive and one as active in the same box.

Thats generally not a good idea, an unpowered driver would likely act like a pr, but a very poorly tuned and probably unpredictable one, not forgetting a pr generally needs to be larger than the driver, or used in multiples.. You would be better of powering both drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.