downfiring sub for 3015 type needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a kappa 15 lfa lying around. Same specs as the 3015 basically.
I need to whip up a messy 40-80hz sub for on-stage karaoke use.
I do want the bass to go all over the place on stage so I was thinking a down
firing sub might be the easiest thing to whip up with a little authority.
My last 2 fury subs are too big for on stage use and they are reserved for the mains.
Anyone got a simple but effective solution?
Cash is non-existent :(

There is a set of infinity 15" 3 way speakers lying around I might be able to pick up. I remember infinitys had decent thump.
At least karaoke, unlike band sound, it doesn't need to be really loud.
The plan is, furysubs and PR15 modded for mains, one set of full range for
the back or sidestage with music, two small center monitors for voice.
Or: one nasty sub centerback stage, two full range monitors up front.
I have a Gemini 3 channel poweramp unit, 70w 70w, 170w sub I would probably have to use for the monitors for now.

Hi screamersusa,

Bjorno came up with a TQWP for the 3015 a while back, I'll attach something similar for the Kappa-15LFA. Just play around with the Hornresp model, and see if you come up with something you like.

Regards,

Attachments

• Kappa_15LFA_TQWP_Input.jpg
    Kappa_15LFA_TQWP_Input.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 108
  • Kappa_15LFA_TQWP_SPL.jpg
    Kappa_15LFA_TQWP_SPL.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 106
  • Kappa_15LFA_TQWP_Schematic.jpg
    Kappa_15LFA_TQWP_Schematic.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 102
Just take a ported cabinet and point it down.
Since it does not have to be super loud, you could build small, port low and EQ up the bottom if needed.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-06 at 8.17.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-06 at 8.17.54 AM.png
    189.1 KB · Views: 104
  • Screen Shot 2012-11-06 at 8.18.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-06 at 8.18.15 AM.png
    179.2 KB · Views: 97
Good to see you man.... thought you'd fallen off the face of the planet or something....

Yea a big ported cabinet is cheapest.... scrounge around at a local construction site for 'free' cabinet parts. Couple scraps of 2x12 to make a top. (turned on the table saw) and a bit of left over sonotube, and a bit of pvc...

127487d1235509594-need-help-building-sonotube-subwoofer-picture-368c.jpg

you ever make the 'cute' TH's ??

You could always "singlesheet" it.... Not sure that's "nasty" but it might work with your 70/70/170 and a couple full rangers.

Last edited:
Good to see you man.... thought you'd fallen off the face of the planet or something....

you ever make the 'cute' TH's ??
Jim,

Been posting here far too much to have fallen off...

This cute TH uses a Kappa 10, is only 26.5 by 15 x 15 inches, use it for a drum sub with 2 x 5" and tweeter on top.

Four of the cute monitors take up about the same space, a whole system including 4 mains and two DFLH subs fits in a 4'x8' trailer towed by the Mustang.

Art

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-06 at 9.04.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-06 at 9.04.25 AM.png
    350.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Screen Shot 2012-11-06 at 9.09.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-06 at 9.09.58 AM.png
    583 KB · Views: 44
I get myself in trouble when I'm not very specific....

Yea art, you're alive and well in DIY-land.... but I hadn't heard from scott in a coons-age.

A long while back he had a couple 12's with no home, and I shared my eminator2512 design with him, as a "cute" TH option.

I did fall off the face of the earth.. :)
The whole system is gone except two furysubs.... everything basically given away. Had to get out of florida....I could clearly see the end coming.
All hell broke loose about a month after we ran like hell.
I'm basically working with nothing at this point, thinking of doing karaoke since
it doesnt require band mates and doesn't compete for what little sound work is here.
Economy has decimated the music industry...
I love it here despite the difficulties.

Nice to see all you folks again.

I knew live sound was tough in FL... but man that sounds insane.

The mountains are great... the stars... even better.

I grew up 200 miles from the mountains... love them. Rafting, hiking, running straight down a mountain at full tilt like an idiot... glad I'm still in one piece on some of the stuff I did as a kid.

Life just seems more real, and more worth it, in the face of absolute beauty.... And you are right in the middle of it.

Any way I can help my friend... let me know.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.