Multiple subs vs. Room treatments - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2012, 11:01 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Default uh uh

Quote:
Originally Posted by djn View Post
Wow, I need to wake up before typing John. I just reread your post and you said "maybe up behind that louvered door". I didn't even realize I'd read that. Just assumed I thought it up. Great idea....thanks.
I tried the two front corners and it seems to exacerbate room modes, especially in the most common listening positions.

If you can move one of them out of a corner, especially on the open side(stairwell), about 3 feet out from the sidewall midway, it will fill in a huge suckout in the bass (at least it does in my room, 25' x 25' x two story).

I've had to kinda 'fake' the placement, because the absolute best location is too intrusive for the front subs.

Anything over 3 subs is sorta redundant (though it won't really hurt). I like to think of the subs as additional room modes I'm strategicaly placing at the suckout nodes to augment the room configuration.

Hope this helps

John L.
Old 7th November 2012, 11:34 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

You don't only need to use the subs below 50Hz. The point of multiple subs is to increase the number of sound sources at low frequencies so as to smooth out the effects of room modes and the more the better. Obviously you don't want to use the subs up so high that can localise them, but using them up to 100Hz, so that they overlap with the mains is recommended.
Old 8th November 2012, 04:43 AM   #33
djn is offline djn  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by auplater View Post
I tried the two front corners and it seems to exacerbate room modes, especially in the most common listening positions.

If you can move one of them out of a corner, especially on the open side(stairwell), about 3 feet out from the sidewall midway, it will fill in a huge suckout in the bass (at least it does in my room, 25' x 25' x two story).

I've had to kinda 'fake' the placement, because the absolute best location is too intrusive for the front subs.

Anything over 3 subs is sorta redundant (though it won't really hurt). I like to think of the subs as additional room modes I'm strategicaly placing at the suckout nodes to augment the room configuration.

Hope this helps

John L.
I'll draw up the layout of the room and you will see that I am limited as to where I can place subs. I would "like" to keep the two subs in the front corner just for semitry's sake. This will be something I'll play will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
You don't only need to use the subs below 50Hz. The point of multiple subs is to increase the number of sound sources at low frequencies so as to smooth out the effects of room modes and the more the better. Obviously you don't want to use the subs up so high that can localise them, but using them up to 100Hz, so that they overlap with the mains is recommended.
I agree 5th. As a matter of fact, my bass speakers sound tighter when I plug the ports, but then the F3 goes up to about 80. So having them plugged and running the subs up higher might sound better.
Old 8th November 2012, 04:46 AM   #34
djn is offline djn  United States
diyAudio Member

Here is another idea that came out of a discussion I had with a friend tonight. As I said earlier, I have a 4x4x3 foot storage space in the back of the room.....well, the floor of that space is part of the large storage space half the size of the house. So if I mount both sub drivers in the floor of the storage space and take the louver door off, I will essentially have an Infinite Baffle as a third sub.

Thoughts???

Here is a screen shot of the WT3 results for those woofers by the way.
Attached Images
File Type: png WT3 screenshot for Dell's.png (90.0 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by djn; 8th November 2012 at 04:48 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!