Multiple subs vs. Room treatments - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2012, 03:54 AM   #21
djn is offline djn  United States
diyAudio Member

This is just an audio room. Because of the door and stairs on at the back of the room, and a laundry room door to one side, the placement is rather fixed.
Old 7th November 2012, 01:38 PM   #22
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

that's kinda what I figured I'd hear.... bummer.

Only thought I have for you. Cut your OC703 in 6" strips. Go to home depot and buy some of the largest concrete tube they have, make 3 vertical equal cuts so you have 3 "cylinders" for diffusors per tube. Using thumbtacks or whatever is needed, put them unfinished on the walls so the top is about 12" from the ceiling -- alternating between diffusion and absorption with only a couple inches gap between them. Line each wall.

If that gives you "enough" and it makes your room livable, finish them however you see fit.

Move your speakers wider, and add some more toe-in. That will help reduce your sound bouncing directly off of the back wall. Whatever you do, you don't want your speakers 4'-5' from any wall surface. (google for room mode calculator if you haven't already)
What speakers do you have? aka, do you have horn loaded HF drivers? ribbons or dome? I'm obviously concerned with more than just a 250hz notch in your room.

Last edited by jbell; 7th November 2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 7th November 2012, 02:06 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Here is a are bad pix of my speakers. They have changed somewhat since these were taken. They are heavily braced JBL Barzilay cabs with the Lambda TD15X drivers, 350hz Edgarhorns with JBL 2441 CDs with Radian Mylar surround diaphragms, and Big *** Heils for tweets.

I am crossing at 500hz and 5khz. Although I just picked up a DBX active crossover and will go back to active and see what sounds best.

After reading a lot of good thinking here and thinking about how to approach this, I have prioitized it into three steps.

1. absorption panels to kill the 250hz resonence.
2. set up multiple subs to flatten the responce below 50hz or so.
3. deal with reflectivity, back wall, side walls, and ceiling.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by djn; 7th November 2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 7th November 2012, 02:23 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

By the way, in the pic of the back wall you see 2' x 2' louver doors. That leads to a 4'w x 5't x 3'd storage space. I don't know what I can really do with that that might help.
Old 7th November 2012, 02:44 PM   #25
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

measure from center speaker cabinet to side wall -- what is that dimension?
Old 7th November 2012, 06:40 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

The center of the woofer is 3.5' from the side wall and 2' from the back wall.
Old 7th November 2012, 08:19 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Sub placement is kinda funky... very room dependent.

Try to get one sub off the floor (maybe up behind that louvered door), another one near one or the other front corner, and a third one (if you have it) halfway between front and back, preferably off the side wall if you can stand it... at least this has worked for me for 20 years or so

John L.
Old 7th November 2012, 08:28 PM   #28
Face is offline Face  United States
diyAudio Member

Have you taken any actual measurements of the room yet?
Old 7th November 2012, 09:41 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by auplater View Post
Sub placement is kinda funky... very room dependent.

Try to get one sub off the floor (maybe up behind that louvered door), another one near one or the other front corner, and a third one (if you have it) halfway between front and back, preferably off the side wall if you can stand it... at least this has worked for me for 20 years or so

John L.
Thanks John. I had an idea when reading your post. I have two good subs one in each front corner of the room behind the speakers. And I have the makings of two more subs. What I though of was to make that big space through those louvered doors the back chamber for a third sub. I have two 12" sub drivers that I'v never used because they need at least 8cu ft to go low. If I make that opening into a baffle, and mount both drivers in it, that could work well......I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
Have you taken any actual measurements of the room yet?
I did take measurements Face, but then send the OmniMic back to the owner and realized I did not save the graphs. But I do know that I have a room resonance at about 250hz.
Old 7th November 2012, 09:44 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Wow, I need to wake up before typing John. I just reread your post and you said "maybe up behind that louvered door". I didn't even realize I'd read that. Just assumed I thought it up. Great idea....thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!