Bass Horn Idea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The quest for clean bass to go with a 4 way front loaded horn system continues. As my listening room is 6m by 6m with only 2100 ceilings i am looking at building bass horns similar to the Le Cleach bass stands but split into 2 and running vertically. They need to do up to 100Hz, no driver are ordered yet but am open to suggestions, probably in the 15 to 18 inch pro driver range.

Has anyone built horns like these? Construction should actually be fairly straight forward, lots of framing, bendy ply and dampening.

How do I model this in Hornresp, i assume i set the diameter to double what it will be and the flare termination to 90 degrees? Any help modelling this would be great, as a mac user it is difficult to get to a pc to use hornresp.

Excuse the 3 minute sketch, it only shows one horn but though it may help.

Attachments

• Bass Horn.jpg
    Bass Horn.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 632
Hi,

You say how high you want to go, but not how low you want to go - though perhaps this is limited by using an FLH with your dimensional constraints.

Here's my attempt at a hornresp entry, using two parallel LAB12s per horn, it only simulates as going to 40Hz, I believe your effective low corner should be lower, as low as 30Hz, due to the ceiling, wall and floor increasing horn length and mouth size. But I'm unsure how accurate simulating this in Hornresp would be - You could try adding on wide parallel expansions for L23, perhaps an extra 2 meters, up to the maximum area hornresp allows - 99999cm2. This shows a bit extra bass, but still rolling off at 40, just less steeply.

aI63O.png

Should do over 130dB at listening position, perhaps too loud for home use?

Hi 3GGG,

I assumed 130dB (and this was a conservative estimate, with one of these in each corner, I would not doubt 140dB to be possible) would be too much, but the matter of the fact is your sketched design allows for about 170cm path length, perhaps a bit more, if you want a straight horn. 170cm is the quarterwave length of a 50Hz sound wave, So I don't think you will be able to get proper hornloading down to 25Hz in this design.

How fixed are you on this design? You say time delay is not a problem, how about a folded horn, or even a Tapped Horn / T-TQWT? If you put the rear chamber at the bottom of where you intend the opening to be, and then run a thin path to the corner, fold over once, and expand out to your current opening idea, you could probably get proper hornloading down to 25Hz.

And even then, SPL will be vastly more than you could possibly need in a home (simulated using two high excursion 12s, but using a single 18 should have similar output capabilities).

But matter of the fact is, even with your original design, you have so much output capability, you could probably just EQ flat to 25Hz and still get 110dB @ chair.

this looks like a nice project.
any ideer how much to spend on the speaker.
fi instead of starting in the lower corner ,you could start at the upper corner>then to the lower corner>90degr bend >a few meters in to the room.
mini dsp comes in handy.

many years ago whe(a freind)where going to do exactly that.
but he moved from that house+he got a girlfreind:xeye:
grtz erik

Hope to spend $1000 on drivers total. I am in Australia so shipping is expensive. I really do like the look of the pd1850 bit will look at possibly an eminence or b&c amongst others. the i option of starring I'm the top corner and putting a 90 degree bend in has a lot of merit and will explore this if I cannot get a suitable length from a single horn

How about this, invert the horn putting the driver enclosure up high...almost wedged into the ceiling....the support structure doubling as a shelving unit.
This set-up frees precious floorspace....aim the horns forward towards the satellites you intend...keep the mouth some 3' away from the corner...letting the corner continue the expansion. ???

____________________________________________________Rick..........

Attachments

• BHORN.JPG
    BHORN.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 355
The quest for clean bass to go with a 4 way front loaded horn system continues. As my listening room is 6m by 6m with only 2100 ceilings i am looking at building bass horns similar to the Le Cleach bass stands but split into 2 and running vertically. They need to do up to 100Hz, no driver are ordered yet but am open to suggestions, probably in the 15 to 18 inch pro driver range.

Has anyone built horns like these? Construction should actually be fairly straight forward, lots of framing, bendy ply and dampening.

How do I model this in Hornresp, i assume i set the diameter to double what it will be and the flare termination to 90 degrees? Any help modelling this would be great, as a mac user it is difficult to get to a pc to use hornresp.

Excuse the 3 minute sketch, it only shows one horn but though it may help.

If you want to build a horn that's very very shallow, it's tough to beat a Paraline.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

A Paraline that's 16' x 8' goes down to 35hz, yet the depth could be as little as 6"-12". (Basically the *volume* of a Paraline is the same as a conventional horn, but the *depth* is very very shallow.)

Check out my thread titled 'square pegs' for details on how to build one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.