Suggestion required for musical sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would just do the same thing but use 15 inch drivers instead in sealed cubes, and use about 1000 watts per sub. Make sure you choose a decent driver and get the system Q to around the .7 mark and they should do everything you want. Just make sure you get your eq right so they are flat to a decent low frequency, something like Audyssey will do the trick, or a pro amp with PEQ built in.

No expert but would think that a sealed sub is more musical- also of interest are the Ripole sub designs, very musical but a different sound.
My dream would be an active sealed sub using a couple of these or 2 seperate with one in each http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/23w-4557t00.pdf
my current subs are sealed.
havent come across these drivers before...how do they compare against TC Sounds epic 12" and dayton Audio reference 12"

I would just do the same thing but use 15 inch drivers instead in sealed cubes, and use about 1000 watts per sub. Make sure you choose a decent driver and get the system Q to around the .7 mark and they should do everything you want. Just make sure you get your eq right so they are flat to a decent low frequency, something like Audyssey will do the trick, or a pro amp with PEQ built in.
am not a pro like some of you guys here...so would help if you could suggest drivers and design choose from

tried and tested ones.

Last edited:
I dont know whether I'd call myself a pro, just an enthusiast, but I have built a few subs. Personally, I think you should be looking at big heavy duty subwoofer drivers from the likes of Dayton, Mach Audio, or even Fi car audio (their Q series drivers work quite well with proper eq). In Europe, the only readily available big heavy duty driver is the Fi Q series and they really do sound well.

As for a design, a simple sealed box will be spot on for what you need. An FiQ15D2 for example, works well in a 450mm (18 inches) cube made from 25mm (1 inch) MDF with a double thick baffle.

I may not be able to get hold of Match Audio or Fi Car. Dayton, TC Sounds are with my reach.
How good are peerless drivers - from India? Since I live here, i can get them at a real good price.

By the way my needs are for home use not car use....forgot to mention that

1262W's

I just built a set of woofer boxes with 1262W's.
Basically the same speaker.
What box volume do you have?
If you have 75 liters or more, a port will make them dig to 25 Hz.
And you will get more than 115 dB SPL @ 30 Hz with about 300 watts.(24-25 V)
They will require a high pass filter whose frequency (around 20 Hz)depends on the tuning frequency you choose with the port.

Dave

Last edited:
I just built a set of woofer boxes with 1262W's.
Basically the same speaker.
What box volume do you have?
If you have 75 liters or more, a port will make them dig to 25 Hz.
And you will get more than 115 dB SPL @ 30 Hz with about 300 watts.(24-25 V)
They will require a high pass filter whose frequency (around 20 Hz)depends on the tuning frequency you choose with the port.

Dave
My design is a sealed with dual opposed drivers. It is about 80 liters with 2 drivers.

I may not be able to get hold of Match Audio or Fi Car. Dayton, TC Sounds are with my reach.
How good are peerless drivers - from India? Since I live here, i can get them at a real good price.

By the way my needs are for home use not car use....forgot to mention that

My suggestion was also for home cinema. Fi mainly do car audio, but they can make the Q driver to suit home audio use (Ive designed probably close to 20 cabs using this driver). You will need to eq it to get it to dig deep, but all sealed subs need that anyway. 20hz performance is no problem with that driver.

Hi ShaQBlogs,

In Post #7 Shadydave mentioned the 1262W. Another driver that appears to be very similar to your Infinity 1260Ws is the JBL GTO1214. There are quite a few builds here @ diyaudio for that driver, and I think they would apply.

Bye the way, I like your choice from Post #8, I would increase the volume if possible, maybe to 120 litres.

Regards,

Hi ShaQBlogs,

In Post #7 Shadydave mentioned the 1262W. Another driver that appears to be very similar to your Infinity 1260Ws is the JBL GTO1214. There are quite a few builds here @ diyaudio for that driver, and I think they would apply.

Bye the way, I like your choice from Post #8, I would increase the volume if possible, maybe to 120 litres.

Regards,
Hi tb46,

Whats the reason for recommending to increase the volume?

The 1262 is not available here. It was my first choice.

How about the Seas L26ROY? A very nice looking 10" driver, not too expensive and apparently sounds tight and fast in a vented box. there are 2 different versions, one is more sensitive and the other probably goes marginally deeper.
http://avforum.no/forum/attachments/...e-img_2136.jpg
Thats a neat looking driver.
How does it compare to TC Sounds Epic 12? Epic goes down to 15Hz as per specs @parts express, as compared 20Hz on this one. I read a few good reviews bout Epic. Not many recommendations of it here. Any specific reason?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.