Tysen midbass/bass section

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys :wave:

I couldn't find a subforum for moronic newbie questions so please forgive me and provide some advice! I know little about what works and what doesn't, etc so please bear with me. This is all just theoretical as I'm looking for a small footprint fullrange-ish floorstander that I can lug across the world (I know it sounds insane :rolleyes:) but I shift quite often and I am deaf in one ear so headphones are a no go.

I've been looking for a speaker which will do 35-45hz & fit in a suitcase as it has to be portable. I've got a few ideas but I also came across the FAST/tysen design and it seems to fit the bill in principle. I know there are minimum size requirements in making a speaker design work but I want as small a footprint as possible. Under 28"x8"x6"?

I was looking into sidefiring 5"-7" woofers but they are all thick. can anyone think of a thin midbass woofer that would be suitable? I had also hoped to possibly have this woofer active so I could vary bass output but I'm not sure if its more hassle than it's worth or would even work.

I was also mulling over the possibility of seperating the speaker into two different sections. One with a forward firing fullrange or midrange/tweeter and a second section with a downward firing woofer. It's probably completely idiotic but is there any chance such a thing would work? for example this sort of thing with a downard firing woofer?

20120421132407453.jpg

Stuff I found interesting:

If you ...and I ! focus on the Tysen philosophy that led to the design, which
is a fullrange on a slim baffle and a sidefiring woofer .
Obviously, if the woofer was front-firing, the baffle would have been larger;
but it is positioned that way because lower tones are omnidirectional, so
the cabinet is transparent considering the wavelenght of a low tone .
Also, if the fullrange and the woofer are sufficiently linear, the crossover circuit can be simple; look also at the Visaton Stella .
When talking about subwoofer, it's another league, because it should only
'put in the air' what a normal (little) speaker system cannot outsource, which
is the very low part of the audio spectrum; usually, the crossover is active for the cost/convenience and for effective cut and steep slope; the amplifier that follows doesn't need to be 'audiophile' but strong enough to 'bring back' the 40 Hz in conjunction to the mid(bass)-treble satellites.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Tysen is my design.

I have of late been working on the concept of a portable hifi that fits into a pelican case.

SDX7 will fit into as little as 7 litres with reasonable performance. It could be fit into the bottom of the pelican case. Then a pair of uFonkenWK (Fostex FF85wk) or uMar-Ken6 (either of the Alpair6.2) could fit on top and be pulled out for listening. A small Class D 2.1 amp (with switching supply for different countries voltage). Add an iPod or DragonFly USB DAC and away you go.

dave

A few questions

Have you experimented at all with other helper woofers as I can't seem to find SDX7 on the CSS website.

Would smaller 5-6" woofers like seas aluminum/scanspeak revelator be able to produce their "claimed" lower frequencies in a Tysen type cabinet? That way I could shave of a few inches in cabinet length :).

Also would a small midrange or wideband + tweeter rather than a fullrange driver work?

The Seas 6" is very nice ( only by looking at it ) but it exhibits a poor sensitivity :
84 dB/W/m ; if you look at the freq. response chart (below it you'll find how that measurement is done ) ...well, just point wheter on the dB or Frequency scale and
you'll find ....
A larger diameter means a major volume displacement ( if the motor and the suspensions allow for it ), so for the same input level you'll get more SPL .
A Fast concept is : just shift the usual crossover point from the usual 1.5/2.5 KHz
( midbass+tweeter ) two decades lower ; so you'll need something like a mid-tw to reproduce the upper part of the audio spectrum .

So I did a bit of internet trawling and came up with two 'bonafide' subwoofers that might possibly replace the CSS 7"?

The subs are the Tang Band W5-1138SMF 5.5" and the Wavecore SW178WA01 6.5". The wavecore is a little wide but very slim at 2.8"! I couldn't find much on it or the Tang Band for that matter. Any thoughts on these drivers :)?

Hmmm...

Dave, I'm still not sure why you insist on the driver being able to hit 1kHz - its a couple of octaves above the crossover. So long as the subwoofer is well behaved (no peaky cone breakup etc) above the XO frequency, what's the problem?

pocoloco, I'm using the TB W6-1139 subwoofer. It'll go in ~5L sealed or 11L ported (tuned ~40Hz) and put out quite a bit of volume.

Its frequency response looks like this:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

There are no nasty peaks to have to overcome, so you could likely use a simple 1st order crossover and get pretty good results.

The 5" TB woofer you mention will likely have similar characteristics.

I must say - you're going to struggle to hit 40Hz in a suitcase unless you're willing to put quite a lot of power in there.

Chris

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'm still not sure why you insist on the driver being able to hit 1kHz

Experience. If it doesn't get up there it doesn't sound right. Thr helper woofers we are playing with right now reach up to 5k.

In Tysen, with an XO at 333 Hx, 2 octaves is ~1.3 KHz. SDX7 -- once i finish 1st level of treatment, rools off smoothly at ~ 1.6kHz

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.