Custom Replacement Amplifier for KEF PSW4000 subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I own two Kef PSW4000 subwoofers (12" woofer, 500W amp) and with one of them I have been having a lot of problems. There's an intermittent hum that either doesn't show up for days or sometimes it happens within minutes. The sub has been serviced by both Kef itself as well as Analogique (Kef repair center) in Manhattan. I have spend hundreds of dollars and countless miles trying to have this fixed, but at this point I am considering replacing the Amp since Kef doesn't offer a replacement amp.

These are two amps that I found which would be a good fit:
Bash 500W Digital Subwoofer Plate Amplifier
Dayton Audio SPA500 500W Subwoofer Plate Amplifier

Here's the manual of my amp. The current amp cutout dimensions are: 16.5" w x 10"
http://www.kef-audio.de/Manuals/Products/Subwoofer/PSW4000_5000_Bedienungsanleitung.pdf

My questions are (and I apologize if this not the correct forum):
- Would replace the amp with an aftermarket work? I realize I probably need to add some thick board since it won't be a perfect fit, but the inside cabling should be pretty straight foward and the only thing I'm giving up is the front LED?
- I am leaning towards the Dayton, since it fits better in the cutout dimensions, has a LFE input and the electronics are covered. I just need to figure out if it fits in the inside (which I think it will). Any thoughts on the amps or any other recommendations?
- Any other thoughts?

Thank you,
Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.