Radian 2218 NEO? 21mm x-max

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone try one of these monsters, would it be suitable for horn loading?

link added http://www.radianaudio.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/prod_files/2218 Neo.pdf

It did not hit x-max with 1000 watts when I modeled it in a 200 liter BR box tuned to 35hz.

Resonant Frequency (Fs) 31.4 Hz
Impedance (Re) 5.4 ohms
Total Q (Qts) .257
Mechanical Q (Qms) 2.82
Electrical Factor(Qes) .283
BL Factor 29.85 T-M
Diaphragm Mass (Mms) 236.2 grams
Comp. Equivelant Vol. (Vas) 329.4 Liters / 11.63 cu. ft.
Voice Coil Overhang (Xmax) 21.3
Reference Efficiency 3.509%
Surface Area of Cone (Sd)m2 .2269 m2

I know a pair of B&C 18TBW100's would cost the same amount but this is an fun driver to model. At x-max it hits 121db at 30hz/ 130db at 50hz and is efficient to boot!:cool:

Last edited:
Radian Audio 2218 Neo 18" Woofer - Radian 18" 2218Neo. Radian 2218 Neo low frequency wooferer - Radian 2218 Neo woofer handles 2,600 watts program. Radian 2218 Neo 18" woofers available here at US Speaker. Radian 2218 Neo woofers.

This is the new neo model.
I did not google much on it. If the specs are accurate and the cone is stiff enough for a horn then it may be a decent club wrecker.

This is a simple double 18 box.
VB%2520Response%2520radian%2520monster%252018.jpg

I need a version of unibox that goes to 150db now...

Last edited:
Those are some seriously bad looking port resonances in your Unibox simulation! You should think about a port that is 50% wider or use two of the current diameter. Port length will increase quite a bit, but this should be in a rather large vented box anyway... Also you can increase the box size, or use 1 driver per box.

As ßart West-VL. said above, Unibox uses the power rating to generate the data, so to reduce SPL just enter a smaller max power rating (e.g. 30W, or try 1W to get the usual xx SPL @ 1W rating).

-Charlie

Last edited:
Anyone try one of these monsters, would it be suitable for horn loading?

Diaphragm Mass (Mms) 236.2 grams
Surface Area of Cone (Sd)m2 .2269 m2

I know a pair of B&C 18TBW100's would cost the same amount but this is an fun driver to model. At x-max it hits 121db at 30hz/ 130db at 50hz and is efficient to boot!:cool:
The Mms of a single 18TBW100 is 268.2 grams, (with a Sd of .1210 m2) it is a very stiff cone suitable for the high pressures encountered in a TH, almost overtbuilt for BR use.

The B&C 21SW152 has an Mms of 460 grams with a Sd of .1680 m2, IIRC Josh Ricci managed to kink one of those in a very high power test in the Othorn.

I think the Radian 2218 NEO would at best be very distorted at high drive levels in a TH, and probably would tear up or kink the cone if pushed to Xmax for more than a short time.

Other than that, looks to be a good choice ;).

Art

Last edited:
Those are some seriously bad looking port resonances in your Unibox simulation! You should think about a port that is 50% wider or use two of the current diameter. Port length will increase quite a bit, but this should be in a rather large vented box anyway... Also you can increase the box size, or use 1 driver per box.

As ßart West-VL. said above, Unibox uses the power rating to generate the data, so to reduce SPL just enter a smaller max power rating (e.g. 30W, or try 1W to get the usual xx SPL @ 1W rating).

-Charlie

Yea that was a quick and dirty sim, I have no idea what type of enclosure this driver would work best in... Not that I have the funds or a use for it right now, still saving for another 3015lf. :hohoho:

I wish.

Sounds like you don't mind the sound of lightweight cones folding up at high power.

My current sub amp can only do 500w per driver:( so I am not too concerned about smoking my BR boxes.

Building a set SS15's is my winter project and they will most likely be overkill for the folk bands/wedding dj's that use my system. Down the road I will probably need more rig/amps/subs/lights etc. but for now everything has to fit in a Jeep Cherokee.

The Radian Neo 18" in a reflex box would require some power to push it but for those wanting a small rig that is easy to transport it may be a good option.

Thanks for the heads up on the 3015 btw, PM sent.

Well it's not really only the 3015lf that is at fault. The whole ss15 design concept was for a lightweight, 500w rms sub. It's not really meant to take much more, and it's not meant for 30hz output.
You have to decide what you want. If you want what the ss15 has to offer I feel the 3015lf Is a great match. If you want a sub that's 3x the weight, 2+ times the output, 5x the power handling etc then the ss15 isn't right. The keystone or the th-18 mk2 is a good match for that!

The Mms of a single 18TBW100 is 268.2 grams, (with a Sd of .1210 m2) it is a very stiff cone suitable for the high pressures encountered in a TH, almost overtbuilt for BR use.

Art
After re- reading the Radian 2218 specs, realized it was an 18" with an error in the SD specifications:

Surface Area of Cone (Sd)m2 .2269 m2 (should be around .12 m2)

I had thought it was a 22" or some such monster:eek:.

The diaphragm mass of (Mms) 236.2 grams, if correct, is reasonably beefy, though I still would reserve judgement about how well it would hold up in a tapped horn pushed to an Xmax of 21.3 mm, if that specification is correct.

Art

Ah marketing.

I followed up with Radian on the Xmax specification for this driver.

According to the response I received, the stated "21mm Xmax" is peak-to peak instead of the usual one-way Xmax specification. So this driver actually has a 10.5mm Xmax when you use the usual way to assign this number.

-Charlie

Would not have expected that from Radian,:( I thought they were giving the VC overhang?

I followed up with Radian on the Xmax specification for this driver.

According to the response I received, the stated "21mm Xmax" is peak-to peak instead of the usual one-way Xmax specification. So this driver actually has a 10.5mm Xmax when you use the usual way to assign this number.

-Charlie
Thanks for the insight, the Xmax looked unreal considering the surround.

Radian certainly wants a lot of money for a driver with about the same Xmax of a BC18TBX100.

Surround.

Thanks for the insight, the Xmax looked unreal considering the surround.

Radian certainly wants a lot of money for a driver with about the same Xmax of a BC18TBX100.
I have not researched the TC sounds PRO5100 18" but is claims 31mm x-max with a accordion surround and the 21IPAL has 21mm. So it may be possible for these "pro" drivers to have longer travel, (not that it will make them exponentially better).

I have not researched the TC sounds PRO5100 18" but is claims 31mm x-max with a accordion surround and the 21IPAL has 21mm. So it may be possible for these "pro" drivers to have longer travel, (not that it will make them exponentially better).

These drivers will do that much and the surrounds will physically go that far but the linearity past 20mm is questionable. Typical pro drivers have a geometric xmax in the 8-10mm range so by 20mm they have lost a lot of motor force and become very non linear anyway with compression and greatly increased distortion by that point.

The 5100 has a 19mm geometric xmax as does the bms 860 and 862. The 18 and 21 ipal are about 15mm overhang. These are the longest stroke pro drivers Im aware of. The Radian appears to be 10.5 mm which is about average for modern extended LF pro subs.

Xmax = ((winding depth - magnetic gap depth)/2 + (magnetic gap depth)/3

TC sounds PRO5100 Xmax = ((76,2 - 38,1)/2 + 38,1/3 =
= 19,05 mm + 12,70 mm = 31,75 mm :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.