New HT subwoofer. Dayton Ref 18"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Got some more done (before the snow hit us...too early in NY for snow!@)
photo197.jpg

photo198z.jpg

photo199s.jpg

back clamped on...
photo200l.jpg

and the second front face, last piece to glue on!

photo201d.jpg

Its been a while since we had a real 'rock the foundation' sub thread. Thanks Evan.

I guess it'll be a way to retaliate when my landlord's kid won't stop thumping/running around downstairs.... :D :D

Thanks guys. The bracing actually turned out to be made from all the left over cut pieces of the two sheets of Baltic. Along with the second front face panel. Glad I didn't have to cut into my spare sheet, who knows what it will be used for?

sanded, rounded edges and pre stained
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

stained espresso to match the rest of the stuff i made

driver in place...finally found its home :D

All finished! just fired it up. no listening impressions yet, i have to wait to break it in and really turn it up (when no one is home)

I know I keep thinking the same thing! I know (from moving it up the stairs) that this thing is huge, but in the pics it looks small

I literally listened to it for 2 mins at a low volume. I'll run some sine waves through it when no one is home and see how she does, maybe add some EQ with the mini dsp. Then I'll throw in a blu ray and crank it up!

I know I keep thinking the same thing! I know (from moving it up the stairs) that this thing is huge, but in the pics it looks small

I literally listened to it for 2 mins at a low volume. I'll run some sine waves through it when no one is home and see how she does, maybe add some EQ with the mini dsp. Then I'll throw in a blu ray and crank it up!

It just barely fits that location as if you designed it that way.:rolleyes:

Wow
masterpiece...
how it sounds !!!

btw, why you choose an 18" driver if most of the times you will not need that SPL's
with a TH with an 8" or 10" you will have enough
im not an expert on subs design but have seen some pretty nice figures with TH boxes
with singles or duals 8" or 10"s

Thanks!

Well I had 2 12's but they weren't tuned low ebought for HT (which is what this system is strictly used for)

And once I saw this new Dayton driver I really wanted to try it out! For $250 plus two sheets of 18mm Baltic ($130ish) you can't beat this really. Well with some EQ as well to boost the low end roll off from a sealed box. But it's a great setup for the $. For any $ actually even twice that price!

(Max Drooling)
the more i see this stuff the more i start to dig it
hopefully i will start to butch some wood soon

so, what was your mini DSP parameters
high pass freq (24/48 LR )
at what voltage you limit your box
and what amp you are using to drive it ( 8 or 4 ohms )

I think I set the high pass at 15hz? With a sealed enclosure its not *as* critical as a horn or BR where excursion increases rapidly. Excursion still rises in the lower octaves but not as rapidly.
I wanted the full 20Hz from this box...at low listening levels. If I was really abusing this, I'd be more careful with the high pass, set limiters in the DSP etc. but as Josh pointed out, this driver has plenty of xmech to play around with, even if Xmax is only 12mm or so.

The amp is pretty powerful, 1500rms at 4 ohms.... clean power? I'm guessing 1000-1200or so with low distortion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.