New HT subwoofer. Dayton Ref 18"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm tempted to try this bad boy out!
Any experience here with it?

Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 18" Reference HO Subwoofer 4 ohm 295-472

I have the 15" HO in my car, and enjoy it.

I think this sub would be nice with a lot of power for Home Theater (I have a THX approved QSC mx1500a for sub power)
The price is right as well. I may sell my current JL audio 12w3v3's in order to do a large sealed box in its place with EQ with this driver.

For now a horn is out of the question, I've moved into a small apartment and space is very limited. Next year ill have my own house / dedicated theater room for large horns. So until then....

Last edited:
Specifications:
• Power handling: 900 watts RMS
• VCdia: 3"
• Le: 2.10
• Impedance: 4 ohms
• Re: 3.41 ohms
• Frequency range: 20-500 Hz
• Fs: 19.6 Hz
• Sensitivity: 89.2 dB 1W/1m
• Vas: 10.52 cu. ft.
• Qms: 3.90
• Qes: 0.43
• Qts: 0.39
• Xmax: 12.75 mm
• Dimensions: Overall diameter: 18.17", Cutout diameter: 16.69", Depth: 8.54".

Btw space available is 16"H x 30" W x 24" D. So a low tuned horn will not fit there.
This is strictly for home theater. Only music which will be played through it will be from movie sound tracks.
Control provided via marantz sr5006 receiver. Audyssey for auto setup, but can also do manual EQ / delay etc.

Ive dealt with the 10"s and 12"s (10" HF in my old car, used all others in various installs for home use). Those subs are solid and very hard to beat for the money. Always kept me satisfied... curious how the 18" turns out. Hope you pick one up and share the experience! ;)

Hi,

:2c: Make a closed box.. If the enclosure must be Ported:This driver requires a refrigerator size of volume in order to keep Port issues at a benign level.

b:)

Attachments

• RSS460H0-4-subs.JPG
    RSS460H0-4-subs.JPG
    402 KB · Views: 1,176
I read the wrong one. I meant 44 volts to Xmax.

I don't have high pass capability right now, but I rarely listen to it at levels which would bring it to high drive voltages.

I will introduce a mini DSP for high pads when I construct the subwoofer because I know it's necessary / will save the driver!

Some time ago I just went ahead and put something in the shopping cart until I got to the checkout. There I could see the shipping cost... phew
And what if I have to send it back for warranty? etc....

I did this again, just now, I got this:
Error-FedEx: Rates are not available at this time.
So, I'll get back with this, thanks for pointing me to PE

O yes, Could be taxed at the border too... (that's another 30% or so)

Last edited:
Looks like the minimum size box (sealed and QTC=0.8) is about 6 cubic feet with an f3 of 29hz. However, a Titanic 15 in the same size box with SBB4 vent tuning is fairly flat in the passband with an f3 of 23hz. I think the Titanic is still the best buy out there. That said, I must confess that I built a pair of 18" three way prosound speakers that I occasionally crank up and enjoy the hell out of.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.