Dual horned sub cab ported design vs ported? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd October 2012, 04:31 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthias125 View Post
Unfortunately im in love with the horizontal design. Making it easy to stack. So over all niether of these designs would be able to be tuned to 35hz?
You can tune the BR/horn design to 35 Hz, but it won't be as efficient as a tapped horn of similar size and shape, a TH can be as much as 6 dB more effecient (per driver) than a BR of the same Fb.
Also remember that lower tunings reduce efficiency, so the relative efficiency of the horn in the 60-160 Hz region where it works makes the lower tuning seem like even less bass.
Old 22nd October 2012, 05:40 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Can you link up a few th horn designs. Thats have proven efficiency down to 35hz that you know of
Old 22nd October 2012, 05:56 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Can you link up a few th horn designs. Thats have proven efficiency down to 35hz that you know of
This one has proven to work very well:
Keystone Sub Using 18,15,&12 Inch Speakers

Josh Ricci's Othhorn
The Othorn tapped horn
and Gjallerhorn go lower, but are larger, though the flatter shape may be more what you are looking for.

Art Welter

Last edited by weltersys; 22nd October 2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 23rd October 2012, 01:26 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

any opinions to the mini scooper design orignal when i started off on the this audio adventure one of the design that i really took from that i was familiar with the sound was the hold tonka subs which looks like two mini scoopers staked on top of each other with 15'

Mini Scooper 18
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flick016.jpg (37.5 KB, 66 views)
Old 23rd October 2012, 02:44 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
any opinions to the mini scooper design orignal when i started off on the this audio adventure one of the design that i really took from that i was familiar with the sound was the hold tonka subs which looks like two mini scoopers staked on top of each other with 15'
My opinion is that the tapped horns previously mentioned in post #13 sound better, go lower, and have more output per truck space than the scoop designs I have heard.

Hide this!Advertise here!