more bass! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th October 2003, 03:49 PM   #1
cowanrg is offline cowanrg  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cowanrg
Default more bass!

ok, so here is the deal. first off, im crazy. currently i have a deftech sub (its a special order piece), its 1800 watts, 1x 14" active , 2x passive radiators. goes down to 12hz, and will do 110dB+ at 20hz. but its not enough. sure, ive broken things already, and set off people's car alarms, but i still want more.

ive been looking at the labhorn, but on the frequency response, it doesnt look like it does that much, and it looks like its not very flat? mine blends perfectly with my maggies (most people think the maggies are producting all that bass, because the cube is kinda small and not out in the open). i guess i could do two labhorns, but will it be more?
Old 30th October 2003, 08:12 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: more bass!

Quote:
Originally posted by cowanrg
ok, so here is the deal. first off, im crazy. currently i have a deftech sub (its a special order piece), its 1800 watts, 1x 14" active , 2x passive radiators. goes down to 12hz, and will do 110dB+ at 20hz. but its not enough. sure, ive broken things already, and set off people's car alarms, but i still want more.

ive been looking at the labhorn, but on the frequency response, it doesnt look like it does that much, and it looks like its not very flat? mine blends perfectly with my maggies (most people think the maggies are producting all that bass, because the cube is kinda small and not out in the open). i guess i could do two labhorns, but will it be more?

where did you get this sub?!
Old 30th October 2003, 08:29 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

direct from definitive technologies. it retails for $1700. i was wrong about frequency response though, it hits 11hz, not 12

its only problem is that its built more solid than my house. it treats my house like its cardboard... (its as 16.5" cube, at 111 pounds)
Old 30th October 2003, 09:00 PM   #4
BAM is offline BAM
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BAM
It does not really do 11 Hz, most likely. Definitive is infamous for fudging their specs, especially in the bass department. Which is a shame, because Definitive makes some very good products that could succeed well on their own (if they didn't overcharge so darn much...they seem like Bose wannabes in that respect).
Old 30th October 2003, 09:04 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

i dont think they charge THAT much... (granted i dont pay their full price, but still). i think they make some decent stuff. you really cant beat their stuff for HT use.

yeah, i agree it probably cant do 11hz, BUT, i know it can do sub 20hz tones. i have a few cds that have bass notes i CANT hear, but it shakes everything. does it go down to 11hz? i guess ill have to use a test tone to find out.
Old 31st October 2003, 01:28 AM   #6
Paul W is offline Paul W  United States
diyAudio Member

If you want plenty of headroom, try an IB sub.

[url]http://www.geocities.com/pnwright3/Gemini_subs.html
Old 31st October 2003, 04:18 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Re: more bass!

Quote:
Originally posted by cowanrg
i guess i could do two labhorns, but will it be more?
Depending on EQ, the structural integrity and how you load them in the room, 2 will do 20-25Hz but at a tiny fraction of the distortion, much more level capability and with considerably more 'ease' than a 14" driver stroking it's guts out. 20Hz at 30% THD sounds like a big WOFTAM to me.

The other thing to consider is that most people, when hearing horn bass properly for the first time, think it sounds 'thin' because of the lack of THD. If it's just some sort of sound effect you're after, buy another squeezebox sub.
Old 31st October 2003, 04:24 AM   #8
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
cowanrg

Can you post a picture of your sub and your front Room / stereo room setup ?

Pwease
Old 31st October 2003, 06:05 AM   #9
postman is offline postman  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to postman
Yeah post a picture or ill set my kangaroo onto you.
Old 31st October 2003, 10:04 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
ive been looking at the labhorn, but on the frequency response, it doesnt look like it does that much, and it looks like its not very flat?
those responses from memory are -1 box,outside

1 in a corner=pretty good to 30hz good efficiency,but ur looking for low low stuff arent u?

what about the contrabass from servodrive :-)

Hide this!Advertise here!