diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Subwoofers (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/)
-   -   more bass! (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/22163-more-bass.html)

cowanrg 30th October 2003 03:49 PM

more bass!

ok, so here is the deal. first off, im crazy. currently i have a deftech sub (its a special order piece), its 1800 watts, 1x 14" active , 2x passive radiators. goes down to 12hz, and will do 110dB+ at 20hz. but its not enough. sure, ive broken things already, and set off people's car alarms, but i still want more. :devilr:

ive been looking at the labhorn, but on the frequency response, it doesnt look like it does that much, and it looks like its not very flat? mine blends perfectly with my maggies (most people think the maggies are producting all that bass, because the cube is kinda small and not out in the open). i guess i could do two labhorns, but will it be more?

Matttcattt 30th October 2003 08:12 PM

Re: more bass!

Quote:

Originally posted by cowanrg
ok, so here is the deal. first off, im crazy. currently i have a deftech sub (its a special order piece), its 1800 watts, 1x 14" active , 2x passive radiators. goes down to 12hz, and will do 110dB+ at 20hz. but its not enough. sure, ive broken things already, and set off people's car alarms, but i still want more. :devilr:

ive been looking at the labhorn, but on the frequency response, it doesnt look like it does that much, and it looks like its not very flat? mine blends perfectly with my maggies (most people think the maggies are producting all that bass, because the cube is kinda small and not out in the open). i guess i could do two labhorns, but will it be more?

where did you get this sub?! :bigeyes:

cowanrg 30th October 2003 08:29 PM

direct from definitive technologies. it retails for $1700. i was wrong about frequency response though, it hits 11hz, not 12 :)

its only problem is that its built more solid than my house. it treats my house like its cardboard... (its as 16.5" cube, at 111 pounds)

BAM 30th October 2003 09:00 PM

It does not really do 11 Hz, most likely. Definitive is infamous for fudging their specs, especially in the bass department. Which is a shame, because Definitive makes some very good products that could succeed well on their own (if they didn't overcharge so darn much...they seem like Bose wannabes in that respect).

cowanrg 30th October 2003 09:04 PM

i dont think they charge THAT much... (granted i dont pay their full price, but still). i think they make some decent stuff. you really cant beat their stuff for HT use.

yeah, i agree it probably cant do 11hz, BUT, i know it can do sub 20hz tones. i have a few cds that have bass notes i CANT hear, but it shakes everything. does it go down to 11hz? i guess ill have to use a test tone to find out.

Paul W 31st October 2003 01:28 AM

If you want plenty of headroom, try an IB sub.

[url]http://www.geocities.com/pnwright3/Gemini_subs.html

Brett 31st October 2003 04:18 AM

Re: more bass!

Quote:

Originally posted by cowanrg
i guess i could do two labhorns, but will it be more?
Depending on EQ, the structural integrity and how you load them in the room, 2 will do 20-25Hz but at a tiny fraction of the distortion, much more level capability and with considerably more 'ease' than a 14" driver stroking it's guts out. 20Hz at 30% THD sounds like a big WOFTAM to me.

The other thing to consider is that most people, when hearing horn bass properly for the first time, think it sounds 'thin' because of the lack of THD. If it's just some sort of sound effect you're after, buy another squeezebox sub.

jleaman 31st October 2003 04:24 AM

cowanrg

Can you post a picture of your sub and your front Room / stereo room setup ?

Pwease

postman 31st October 2003 06:05 AM

Yeah post a picture or ill set my kangaroo onto you.

mikee12345 31st October 2003 10:04 AM

Quote:

ive been looking at the labhorn, but on the frequency response, it doesnt look like it does that much, and it looks like its not very flat?
those responses from memory are -1 box,outside

1 in a corner=pretty good to 30hz good efficiency,but ur looking for low low stuff arent u?

what about the contrabass from servodrive :-)