Bookshelf Sub ideas?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm building a small amp/bookshelf setup. I've got some speakers based on the overnight sensation design done. They're great and plenty loud for my needs. Clearly they need a sub however.

So, I still want to keep the setup small. Yes, I know, I know... small and sub don't go together... I'm just looking for ideas. Ideally I'd like the sub to be part of the amp. I'm crazy right? Anyway, the amp and transformer aren't all that big. So I could likely fit them in the sub box. Basically, look at your standard Stereo receiver... that's about how big I want it.

My ridiculous Infinity perfect 12 in my car isn't much bigger and that thing can make my hair stand on end. I don't even need 1/10th of that output so there's got to be a way to get something more compact.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

There is a sub called the Trisca (I think) over on Part Express DIY projects. I've always thought it would be a great sub in a small room....but I've never heard one so take it with a grain a salt.

Does your small room butt up to a large space like garage, attic, basement??? You could go IB = infinite baffle.

http://www.parts-express.com/project-gallery/home-subwoofer-projects/

Last edited:
and it also acts as a ported, but in a sealed kind of way. I don't know the physics, but I like the sound of PRs better than ports.

The TB W6-1139SG will hit 40Hz in a 11L ported cabinet (I went for a 2" vent, ~9" long), and go pretty loud doing it.

Sensitivity is low, but that was always going to be the case.

If your music collection requires <35Hz stuff, I'd advise looking elsewhere: those drivers are good, but not that good.

A pair sealed with eq would do it, but your maxSPL is severely limited.

I'm thinking of a small double fold T-TQWP.. With maybe dual 4" or 5" drivers.

I just built a small single fold with two cheap MCM 6.5". Works very good to 35hz but probably a little big for you.

Ah... now that's the sort of thing I was looking for. It took me 10min just to figure out what it was, and it looks absolutely ridiculous. Any resources you can recommend? My Google skills are failing me in this search... perhaps they are referred to by another acronym or some such?

... it looks absolutely ridiculous...

Agree..when made in a rush..

...Any resources you can recommend?...

Do a search here at DIYaudio , I've posted a few...

My Google skills are failing me in this search... perhaps they are referred to by another acronym or some such?

Search for T-TQWT or T-QWP

Here are more examples:

b:)

Attachments

• TB_W4-1658SB_Bookshelf_subs10-18L.JPG
    TB_W4-1658SB_Bookshelf_subs10-18L.JPG
    464.7 KB · Views: 121
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.