Pivoting TV-stand/HT-sub/stealth corner

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Did an impedance measurement.
tuning is at 17,5hz
A bit lowish for this driver. I might put something in the box to lower the volume and so up the tuning...

In the mean time the driver played music for a few hours.
At first the sound was thin and a lot of upper bass because I set the amp at +4dB (sub in the center of the room)
Gradually I had to turn down the sub. It's now at -6dB! And the upper bass is much more in line with the rest of the sound.
Didn't know the break in would be so drastic. Is this common?

I hope the Velleman amp in bridged mode can satisfy my ears, this way I save money and I could do with a MiniDSP (which one to drive two sub amps and maybe later satellites?)

Also, I want to put a beefy iron core inductor in series of 3.5mH, it's very big and has practically no dc resistance. Thoughts on that?

The inductor is just to reduce the port resonance a bit and attenuate the higher bass more then the low notes. But in WinISD there is barely a difference in response.
I will just test it with some music and test tones and switch between inductor and no inductor to hear if it makes a difference. If not, I can still leave it in, it has as good as no dc resistance.

I have 4 inductors, so there's room for testing.
Four in series will make a difference for sure and I can short out one by one and listen. Just playing a bit with 6dB filtering. ;)

Looking at the Velleman plans made me decide not to change to bridged mode. It involves to much changing.

I have a few questions which are puzzling me for a while...
-What exactly is the role of the BL factor and coil wiring? What happens to the driver behavior if it's at 8Ω and on a bridged amp. What's the difference if feeding the two 4Ω coils separately with one channel each?

-What can I expect if I put 2 inductors of 3.6mH in series, one for each 4Ω coil?

-What's the difference if using an amp with a high or low damping factor? This Velleman has >300 written in the specs.

Listening to the sub with 2x200W at 2x4Ω hasn't changed the sound compared to 100W at 8Ω

Last edited:
Pity this sub doesn't get as much attention as some other builds.
Admitted, it's not a clean build or world wide known driver, but it's DIY, so experimenting is the spirit with this build.

Two inductors of 3.5mH in series with each VC sounds better, there was to much upper bass. A bit surprising since the LPF of the receiver is 'presumed' to be 4th order.

A bit more experimenting will be done (time permitting) before I add more bracing, to reduce volume. This to change the tuning to 19hz.

I'm ready to order a Behringer 6000DSP. Today or tomorrow. They are on sale where I'm planning to buy.

- One question though; how to sim in WinISD with VC's in series vs parallel vs using just one?

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I was wondering about the T&S parameters because, for example, the BL factor changes too and now I'm using the amp with each coil wired to a channel of the amp, so 4Ω...

I did some measurements on the voice coils and inductors.
Voltage is equal at 80hz in VC and inductor.
it has to rise to 700!hz to double the Voltage in the inductor. This is due to the VC inductance, which is 2.3mH, inductor is 3.6mH.
So the benefit of the inductor is less then hoped but does help to suppress the upper bass, which is to strong otherwise.
Voltage rises quite a bit at the VC at 40hz and lower, due to the rising impedance.
So the inductor is a bit useful and is easily shorted out to check the sound or do measurements.

The 6000DSP is ordered and payed for!! :D

Hope this helped some people ponder about drivers and passive components.

It has been a while since I've removed the driver to tidy-up the box.
Didn't have much time to play around with the finishing touch, but now I gave it priority.
I really started to miss the vibrations through the house! :D

Attachments

• P1010184.jpg
    P1010184.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 45
  • P1010181.jpg
    P1010181.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 48
Thanks!
Yes I did! :D
Played with the settings a bit.
While breaking in the driver, I have often turned the volume down :O
It seems that these drivers need a serious beating to loosen up. :)

I would have to build the diy satellites to really get where I want, but this is now a 2.1 and shaking the walls while sounding very nice for music (L/R→B&O S60's)
Movies recorded from cable TV are already impressive!

Welded a DIY grill to put in front of the sub.
The sound of a sub in the middle of a room is seldom satisfying, so I placed it in the corner in an upward position. Huge difference!
And out of the way too. :p
(It's not tilted backwards, it's the camera that's tilted to the left :rolleyes:)

Attachments

• P1010191.JPG
    P1010191.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 46
OK, a little advanced maybe...
I would like to determine the Vp (peak Voltage)
The limiter is set at 128V for this driver (Monacor 18") The Behringer software says this is 1000W
On the other hand, in WinISD, when typing 1000W in the 'system input power', it results in a 86V number for the 'driver input voltage'
Very different...

And I get the |impression| this driver can take more.

So...How do I determine the Vp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.