Help Me Design A Box - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th October 2012, 06:50 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help Me Design A Box

I currently have a pair of Tritrix (TL version) MTM towers that I built that play pretty pretty solidly down to 50ish hz (to my ear).

I have a Peerless XLS12 that I would like to use to extend down an octave or two. I THINK I want something with an F3 of 35hz.

This is for 90% music on a 2.1 system. Musical accuracy is most important and I think I will be happy if I can fill my 15x15 room nicely with a little bit of over-emphesized 38-42hz range. It does not have to hit 120db...but it needs to 'be there' if that makes sense...?

Im not scared to build a vented box, but my hard drive crashed and my Box Builder Pro app was on it. Any help/suggestions would be GREATLY appriecited guys!

Driver Specs:
Power handling: 150 watts RMS/300 watts max VCdia: 2" Le: 4.2 mH Impedance: 4 ohms Re: 3.5 ohms Frequency response: 20-1,000 Hz Fs: 18.1 Hz SPL: 87.4 dB 2.83V/1m Vas: 3.67 cu. ft. Qms: 3.6 Qes: 0.26 Qts: 0.24 Xmax: 12.5 mm Dimensions: Overall diameter: 12.12", Cutout diameter: 10.91", Depth: 5.68".
Old 5th October 2012, 02:52 PM   #2
johnr66 is offline johnr66  United States
diyAudio Member

That driver wants to be in a low tuned box, however, if you like some bass bump, you can tune it to the mid 30Hz range. This will give it boost in the range were bass feels powerful, yet not boomy. You can download the free WinISD software to model the thing.
Old 5th October 2012, 02:59 PM   #3
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Here is how to design a box: Spend $60 on a new hard drive and get your tools working. Something like WinISL is free and will do fine.

I found subs do not need to be anywhere as flat as most think. The room gain helps a lot and most recordings are boosted with the assumption you have weak base. This has led me to much prefer sealed subs. I run a pair of XXLS's in one room, an RS and a Titanic in others. All sealed low Q cabinets. They just seem to sound better to me.
Old 5th October 2012, 03:11 PM   #4
schmeet is offline schmeet  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Put it in a great big transmission line and it will well down below 20Hz.
Old 8th October 2012, 06:30 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys, I will DL a new simuation software and run some models. I was just wondering if someone had the time to plug something in and tell me what the box needed to be to yeild 35hz.
Old 8th October 2012, 07:25 PM   #6
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

I think you are missing the point. DIY. You need to model it yourself because the box does not give 35 Hz, the selection of the correct driver working in the correct box gives, well what it gives. It is a system. The box only serves to manage the drivers resonance. I suggest you do a little background reading if this is new to you. It will speed you along much faster than the forum will.

Hide this!Advertise here!