Help Me Design A Box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I currently have a pair of Tritrix (TL version) MTM towers that I built that play pretty pretty solidly down to 50ish hz (to my ear).

I have a Peerless XLS12 that I would like to use to extend down an octave or two. I THINK I want something with an F3 of 35hz.

This is for 90% music on a 2.1 system. Musical accuracy is most important and I think I will be happy if I can fill my 15x15 room nicely with a little bit of over-emphesized 38-42hz range. It does not have to hit 120db...but it needs to 'be there' if that makes sense...?

Im not scared to build a vented box, but my hard drive crashed and my Box Builder Pro app was on it. Any help/suggestions would be GREATLY appriecited guys!

Driver Specs:
• Power handling: 150 watts RMS/300 watts max • VCdia: 2" • Le: 4.2 mH • Impedance: 4 ohms • Re: 3.5 ohms • Frequency response: 20-1,000 Hz • Fs: 18.1 Hz • SPL: 87.4 dB 2.83V/1m • Vas: 3.67 cu. ft. • Qms: 3.6 • Qes: 0.26 • Qts: 0.24 • Xmax: 12.5 mm • Dimensions: Overall diameter: 12.12", Cutout diameter: 10.91", Depth: 5.68".

That driver wants to be in a low tuned box, however, if you like some bass bump, you can tune it to the mid 30Hz range. This will give it boost in the range were bass feels powerful, yet not boomy. You can download the free WinISD software to model the thing.

Here is how to design a box: Spend $60 on a new hard drive and get your tools working. Something like WinISL is free and will do fine.

I found subs do not need to be anywhere as flat as most think. The room gain helps a lot and most recordings are boosted with the assumption you have weak base. This has led me to much prefer sealed subs. I run a pair of XXLS's in one room, an RS and a Titanic in others. All sealed low Q cabinets. They just seem to sound better to me.

I think you are missing the point. DIY. You need to model it yourself because the box does not give 35 Hz, the selection of the correct driver working in the correct box gives, well what it gives. It is a system. The box only serves to manage the drivers resonance. I suggest you do a little background reading if this is new to you. It will speed you along much faster than the forum will.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.