best budget woofer for 1 cuft sealed sub?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How much power do you have and will it drive 4 ohms?
The general thinking is that power is inexpensive these days and if you want
a small system you need more power - the power, bandwidth, efficiency
tradeoff.
Also, the trend for subwoofers these days has been to go for very large
Xmax which generally results in lower sensitivity.
You mention sealed, try to keep the Qtc up so that you get better sensitivity
at Fc.

Last edited:
I'd go for a pair of the 6.5" TB sub. The ferrite version is cheaper.

I'd also go ported, tuned ~35-40Hz.

Wire for 8ohm and see how that goes. You have the option for 2ohm use later, but you'd need to be careful with the volume control.

The pair of 6.5"ers ported would wipe the floor with a sealed 8" in terms of output and (probably) extension.

Run the sims, see what you think.

Chris

You might try auto sound sub woofers which are mostly 4 ohm or
dual voice coil and there are some real bargains. Some of the low
cost Rockford Fosgate are well suited to a sealed system but I
don't know if they meet your efficiency requirements. I suggest
that you simulate some to see how they actually perform.
This for example but it probably needs 1.5 - 2 cu ft:
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.aspx?itemid=112932

Don't know if their smaller drivers are as well suited to sealed.

Last edited:
Thanks Chris for all the other replies. I am not sure if my small 50 w amp will drive the big Dayton HF or HO drivers, most would say 100w minimum to get them performing properly.
The TB 1138/9 are very good but for various reasons I would like to go for a sealed sub. I either take the risk with the RSS210 or maybe try the 90db Polk MM840, with a 0.6 qts and low fs, altho its not a light cone and transient response is important to me.

I would definitely go with the Dayton Audio RSS265HF-4 10" Subwoofer. It's actually more efficient than the 8 and is ideal for a 1 cu ft sealed cabinet. Cone weight is not a factor as the Dayton 10's response is pretty flat past 500 hz. Your transient response should be fine. The increased Xmax will give you lower distortion and less power compression at high volume, even if you don't use it all.

Dayton Audio RSS265HF-4 10" Reference HF Subwoofer 4 Ohm 295-460

Aren't we just dealing with Hoffman's Iron Law here? You want a subwoofer to fit into a 1 cubic foot box, and want higher sensitivity. How high a f3 are you willing to except? Sensitivity aside I would think the Dayton 10" HF would be a perfect fit. If you want higher sensitivity than that in a 1 cubic foot box you would maybe be looking at f3's higher than what most would consider subwoofer territory. How low do your current speakers go?

edit:
4Torr beat me to the 10" HF recommendation......

Thanks 4Torr for your great advice. I've also just noticed the Monacor Sam-2 active 2.1 module on Blue Aran
but not sure if the plate amp actually powers the satellites? Maybe it requires a separate amp for this

extract from manual

"The high-quality active high-pass filter of the SAM-2 with versatile adjustments can conveniently be used as a bass relief of the main speakers and for optimising the sound. However, a regulated pre-amplifier output (Pre Out) is required for this. This kind of output is partly present at high-quality separable full amplifiers (Pre Out/Main In) or automatically provided by pre-amplifier/power amplifier combinations or when using mixers."

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.