thin sub - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th September 2012, 01:36 PM   #1
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Default thin sub

Here is my catch 22. One of my systems is in a room where I have zero flexibility in sub placement. The only "conventional" location is below and to the left of the left speaker. This of course causes horrible response problems by being just about out of phase with the right speaker in the middle of the crossover. Going to much steeper electronic crossovers, 6 order maybe, could solve a big part of it, but that requires abandoning the good old Denon AVR I am using and having a giant stack of amps again.

Looking for ideas. One is if there was a relatively shallow sub of decent quality I could build a box about the depth of the TV and hang it above the TV on the wall. About a 3 x 4 foot shallow box. I also thought about putting it in the attic and ducting it down.

Anyone do either of these things? Know a decent shallow driver?
Old 30th September 2012, 03:47 PM   #2
FrankWW is online now FrankWW  Canada
diyAudio Member

PE had a shallow sub in their diy section - used Tang Band woofers

Gotta go out. See if i can find it this evening
Old 30th September 2012, 03:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Look to Patrick Bat3mans "square pegs" thread for an idea on a low frequency"square-A-line" / tapped horn. It would be rather tall and wide, but very thin especially if you reverse mounted the driver with the magnet pointing out of the mouth into the room. Then mount it above the TV.
I once did a dual 15" 4th ordedr bandpass box mounted in an attic on a concrete platform, with rubber "isodampers" as feet. The dual 7" * 7" ports(7" * 15")were then brought thru the vaulted ceiling into the listening space. Just a few ideas
Old 30th September 2012, 06:48 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

TB WQ-1814S looks good, except the 25 piece minimum order.
Old 30th September 2012, 09:16 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

A candidate is the Hi Vi SP10. If I stick the motor through the rear ( flush ) then I can do a 6 inch deep box, and still do a grill cloth so it won't be too ugly.

Any experience with this driver? I can't tell if the VC is vented through the magnet. That would mess up my idea. Not terribly happy with the shape of the response curve. It looks like it was assumed to be a tiny car box.

The Dayton RSS265 may work and as I just happen to have one sitting around, maybe.
Old 30th September 2012, 10:19 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Many more hours staring at numbers. Seas L26ROY, Scan Speak 26W/4558 and Peerless 835017 All are thin enough. I may even pocket the wall to make it a bit thinner with a grill cloth. I have had such good luck with the Peerless 830500, I may just stick in their camp. Then again, I have used many a Seas driver.
Old 30th September 2012, 10:39 PM   #7
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
Many more hours staring at numbers. Seas L26ROY, Scan Speak 26W/4558 and Peerless 835017 All are thin enough. I may even pocket the wall to make it a bit thinner with a grill cloth. I have had such good luck with the Peerless 830500, I may just stick in their camp. Then again, I have used many a Seas driver.
Hi,

If i had your problem I would look up what this Speaker Driver Retailer has to offer and pick one or two of these:

Speaker Building Supplies from Madisound

b
Old 30th September 2012, 11:56 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Something like this? 5 inches deep.

Parts Express DIY Project
Old 1st October 2012, 12:02 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Can you not get a conventional box into the roof space?
Old 1st October 2012, 12:15 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

How big? Peerless do a shallow sub with the motor in front of the cone. It looks ace.

If looking for tiny subs they do a brand new 4" sub especially for TVs which is so thin it looks pretty amazing.

Last edited by Bill poster; 1st October 2012 at 12:17 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!