thin sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is my catch 22. One of my systems is in a room where I have zero flexibility in sub placement. The only "conventional" location is below and to the left of the left speaker. This of course causes horrible response problems by being just about out of phase with the right speaker in the middle of the crossover. Going to much steeper electronic crossovers, 6 order maybe, could solve a big part of it, but that requires abandoning the good old Denon AVR I am using and having a giant stack of amps again.

Looking for ideas. One is if there was a relatively shallow sub of decent quality I could build a box about the depth of the TV and hang it above the TV on the wall. About a 3 x 4 foot shallow box. I also thought about putting it in the attic and ducting it down.

Anyone do either of these things? Know a decent shallow driver?

Look to Patrick Bat3mans "square pegs" thread for an idea on a low frequency"square-A-line" / tapped horn. It would be rather tall and wide, but very thin especially if you reverse mounted the driver with the magnet pointing out of the mouth into the room. Then mount it above the TV.
I once did a dual 15" 4th ordedr bandpass box mounted in an attic on a concrete platform, with rubber "isodampers" as feet. The dual 7" * 7" ports(7" * 15")were then brought thru the vaulted ceiling into the listening space. Just a few ideas:)

A candidate is the Hi Vi SP10. If I stick the motor through the rear ( flush ) then I can do a 6 inch deep box, and still do a grill cloth so it won't be too ugly.

Any experience with this driver? I can't tell if the VC is vented through the magnet. That would mess up my idea. Not terribly happy with the shape of the response curve. It looks like it was assumed to be a tiny car box.

The Dayton RSS265 may work and as I just happen to have one sitting around, maybe.

Many more hours staring at numbers. Seas L26ROY, Scan Speak 26W/4558 and Peerless 835017 All are thin enough. I may even pocket the wall to make it a bit thinner with a grill cloth. I have had such good luck with the Peerless 830500, I may just stick in their camp. Then again, I have used many a Seas driver.

Many more hours staring at numbers. Seas L26ROY, Scan Speak 26W/4558 and Peerless 835017 All are thin enough. I may even pocket the wall to make it a bit thinner with a grill cloth. I have had such good luck with the Peerless 830500, I may just stick in their camp. Then again, I have used many a Seas driver.

Hi,

If i had your problem I would look up what this Speaker Driver Retailer has to offer and pick one or two of these:

Speaker Building Supplies from Madisound

b :)

Something like this? 5 inches deep.

Parts Express DIY Project

After much contemplation, I am going to mock something up with the Dayton RS I have and see how it integrates. Not in love with it, but it may tell me what I want. Looks like a 70L box will fit just fine.

A ducted box in the attic remains option two. I was trying not to damage my ceiling as it is a plank that is not easy to restore. One does have to make some sacrifices in the name of decent sound though.

FYI:

b:)

Attachments

• SB-SW26DAC76-4~91L_OD_MLTL.JPG
    SB-SW26DAC76-4~91L_OD_MLTL.JPG
    236.8 KB · Views: 138
How big? Peerless do a shallow sub with the motor in front of the cone. It looks ace.

If looking for tiny subs they do a brand new 4" sub especially for TVs which is so thin it looks pretty amazing.

I saw that one. Clever idea. It is thinner even with a grill that covers it, but it did not look very good in the model. Both the Dayton RS and the Peerless have a bit wider and flatter response. This app needs to reach up to 100. So the typical "hump" response that works fine for a sub 30 to 60 does not do well 30 to 100.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.