U-frame with 18" PA driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This driver

http://hcdesignaudio.com/hcdesign/assets/File/IT 18S.pdf

is on sale here right now. Beautiful motor, supposedly very linear spider, +/- 9.1 mm linear travel. The big bummer is the highish fs of 49 Hz together with the rigid suspesion (Vas = 89 l).

For use at a home sub, I would like to get signicant efficiency in the 20 - 50 Hz range. However, this driver seems to do only one thing well, and that is a 200 - 300 l ported box with an fb of 37 to 40 Hz.

I tried sealed, ported and detuned ported (EQSS), and always the XXLS12 came out more efficient in a similar sized enclosure.

So the last hope to find a good application for this driver is a dipole, preferably a U-frame. However, a U-frame would also result in an fs of roughly 45 Hz. A H or W-dipole might get 40 Hz, but I am not happy with the radiation pattern.

Is there any sense in building a U-frame with a driver fs that high? I suppose only if supported by a conventional sub in the < 40 Hz range, correct?

I also suppose the only way to make the spider softer is to drill holes into it, which may have unexpted side effects.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.